Current REU student, new to forums

In summary, the conversation is about a person who just joined a forum and is currently participating in a research project in Quantum Information Science. They are looking for recommendations on materials to learn introductory quantum and linear algebra. Another person in the conversation expresses jealousy for not getting a similar opportunity and asks about the group the person is working with. The person explains that they were given a book on optics and have learned how to align a laser and set up an interferometer for their project. They also mention the goal of their project and feeling overwhelmed with the lack of prior knowledge in quantum and optics.
skeith
Hi everybody,

I just joined these fine forums after having spent the last couple of years lurking and occasionally collecting needed information. I'm currently occupying a position at a REU (stands for Research Experience for Undergrads) at the University of Oregon in this summer between my junior and senior years as an undergraduate. So, that's what's going on with me.

My research project is in Quantum Information Science (aka quantum computing).
It just started and I have zero research experience. Most of the lab stuff we'll be doing is in the realm of optics, which so far means working with lasers and setting up interferometers.
Have I grabbed your attention yet?

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of some good material in the area of introductory quantum (i.e. what means what in a (psi) wave function especially) as well as any other helpful resources for someone in my position (maybe a newbie's guide to differential equations and any specific maths related to quantum/optics, and anything to do with research etc). I have only had through calculus 2 and the highest physics I've had is classical mechanics! So i feel a bit overwhelmed as you might imagine. But I'm trying not to be discouraged.

I am currently working through some of Eugene Hecht's OPTICS book (2nd edition, pretty outdated and so I can't find solutions online) so if anyone can help me there I'd greatly appreciate that. Also I apologize if there was a more appropriate place for me to post this message. Thanks for reading. Peace

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome skeith!

Hi skeith, welcome to PF!

You'll probably want to learn some linear algebra to really understand QM. If you've had calc 2, it won't be too difficult.

Cool, congratulations.

I have to admit, I am quite jealous. I tried like hell to get an REU and couldn't get any, then I went to that grad school to do just what you are describing but never got the opportunity. Sounds like a lot of fun, what group are you working in?

lisab said:
Hi skeith, welcome to PF!

You'll probably want to learn some linear algebra to really understand QM. If you've had calc 2, it won't be too difficult.

Hey, that's great to hear! thanks for the encouragement. Any recommendations for starting materials in linear algebra?

Academic said:
Cool, congratulations.

I have to admit, I am quite jealous. I tried like hell to get an REU and couldn't get any, then I went to that grad school to do just what you are describing but never got the opportunity. Sounds like a lot of fun, what group are you working in?

Well, I guess it's just luck of the draw, truth be told you probably would have known what the heck was going on a lot sooner than i will. Honestly i feel kind of undeserving.
The group I'm in is Dr. Michael Raymer's Quantum Information Science project. So far I've been given a book on the basics of optics and been shown how to align a laser and set up a very basic interferometer, which from what I can tell from discussions will act as a 2-D parity sorter. The basic idea is to sort photons based on their spin states in order to create a stage for applications in computer science at the quantum level. I've got much to learn :)

how the hell did you get an REU position without knowing any quantum or optics?

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a government-funded research program for undergraduate students in STEM fields. It provides students with the opportunity to gain hands-on research experience and work with faculty mentors at universities across the country.

2. How do I apply for an REU program?

The application process for REU programs varies, but it typically involves submitting an application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. The National Science Foundation website is a good resource for finding and applying to REU programs.

3. What are the benefits of participating in an REU program?

Participating in an REU program can provide students with valuable research experience, the opportunity to network with other students and faculty, and the chance to explore different research topics and potential career paths. It can also strengthen a student's resume and make them a more competitive candidate for graduate school or future job opportunities.

4. How long is an REU program?

Most REU programs last for 10 weeks during the summer, although some may vary in length. Some programs may also offer the option to continue research for an additional semester or year.

5. Can international students participate in REU programs?

Yes, international students are eligible to participate in REU programs as long as they are enrolled in an undergraduate program at a U.S. institution. However, some programs may have additional eligibility requirements, so it is important to check with the specific program for more information.