ARGH. Multiple multiple choice

In summary: Ok, after some more thought I think I've got it:1,2,3: B4: D5: A6: GIn summary, the correct accelerations for the given scenarios are as follows: 1) B, 2) B, 3) B, 4) D, 5) A, 6) G.
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

2. [2pt] Pick the statement which correctly describes the acceleration, a, of the objects described below (neglecting air resistance). Select from
A: a=0 m/s^2
B: 9.81 m/s^2 down
C: a=9.81 m/s^2 up
D: a>9.81 m/s^2 down
E: a<9.81 m/s^2 down

F: a>9.81 m/s^2 up
G: a<9.81 m/s^2 up
H: Not enough information
E.g., if the first answer is A and the rest C, enter ACCCCC.

1) Just after a bullet is shot upward from a gun
2) An elevator moving downward at constant speed
3) At the top of the path of an object thrown upward
4) While a ball is in a person's hand during a downward throw
5) An elevator starting on its descent
6) While a ball is in a person's hand during an upward throw

problem 1: the italicized letters could be taken as less than -9.8 or greater than -9.8 for both! (is it less than 9.8 down, as in 5 down is less than 9.8 down or -10 is less than -9.8?)

1,2 and 3 are obviously B, 4 is D. the problem is 5 and 6
5 could be: E, D, G, H (or in extreme cases B)
6 could be: F, G, C, H

Combinations I've tried so far:
BBBDBC
*they all start with BBBD, so I'll just put 5 then 6
BF

EB
EC
EE
EF
EG
EH

HB
HH

Help... please

Physics news on Phys.org
When they say "down" or "up" I believe that means that a>9.8 would be a magnitude and down/up specifies the direction. That's just what I got out of it.

5. In the elevator, are you leaving the ground or do you just feel less weighty?

6. The ball is accelerating upward. What does that tell you about the magnitude of the acceleration of the ball?

Edit: How is an elevator moving at a constant speed accelerating at 9.8m/s^2?

Double Edit: Ok I'm starting to think the questions are too vague. Resultant acceleration would say an elevator moving at a constant speed isn't accelerating but the tension in the cable is pulling upward with an acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 to achieve the constant speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
An elevator beginning to move downward will have an acceleration less than 0. But it won't be more than 9.8 because then the people inside would have trouble keeping their footing. But this satisfies two conditions, < 9.8 down and > 9.8 up. It's pretty much the same scenario for the other question.

Alkatran said:
An elevator beginning to move downward will have an acceleration less than 0. But it won't be more than 9.8 because then the people inside would have trouble keeping their footing. But this satisfies two conditions, < 9.8 down and > 9.8 up. It's pretty much the same scenario for the other question.

If the elevator is accelerating downward it can't be accelerating upward. That would be crazy. The question could have been worded better if it was made clear that the accelerations were with respect to Earth's gravitational field. I agree with your first condition for # 5 and second condition for #6.

vsage said:
If the elevator is accelerating downward it can't be accelerating upward. That would be crazy. The question could have been worded better if it was made clear that the accelerations were with respect to Earth's gravitational field. I agree with your first condition for # 5 and second condition for #6.

Sorry, I meant < for both cases. (#5)

Alkatran said:
Sorry, I meant < for both cases. (#5)

I figured as much. Your first condition is right because yes the magnitude of the acceleration is less than 9.81m/s^2 in the DOWN (-1) direction so the acceleration is -9.81<a<0 with respect to the earth. Here's how I determine each condition with respect to the earth(Edit):

a>9.81 down -9.81 < a
a<9.81 down -9.81 > a > 0
a>9.81 up 9.81 < a
a<9.81 up 0<a<9.81

Yay getting bogged down in semantics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, I figured out what one of the problems was.

"An elevator moving downward at constant speed" is A, not B.

But the last 2 still evade me. It stil won't take HH or EH or...

1. What is an ARGH?

An ARGH is an acronym for "Alternate Reality Game Hunt". It is a type of interactive game that combines elements of puzzles, storytelling, and real-world activities.

2. How does an ARGH work?

In an ARGH, players are given clues and challenges to solve in order to progress through the game. They may have to work together with other players, use various online or offline resources, and even participate in real-life events to uncover the next steps of the game.

3. Is an ARGH a type of video game?

No, an ARGH is not a traditional video game. It is a type of immersive experience that can be played through various mediums, such as websites, social media, real-life events, and even phone calls or text messages.

4. Can anyone participate in an ARGH?

Yes, anyone can participate in an ARGH. It is open to people of all ages and backgrounds, and can be played individually or in teams.

5. How is an ARGH different from other types of games?

An ARGH is different from traditional games because it blurs the lines between reality and the game world. It often involves real-world locations, events, and interactions, making it a more immersive and interactive experience for players.