Velocity of the middle compartment

• Thread starter deydas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation is about a train with three compartments moving at different velocities on a circular track. The question is posed about the velocity of the middle compartment, to which the response is that it would be the average of its neighbors due to the small angle approximation of the trig functions. However, the full trig functions can be used if the relative magnitude of the car length and track's radius of curvature is known.
deydas
Hi!

I found this numerical in Finar's Mechanics book and has been unable to do it. Any help would be highly beneficial and appreciated.

A train has three compartments. The first one is moving at a velocity of v1, and the third at a velocity of v2. What would be the velocity of the middle compartment?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure why the compartments would be moving at different speeds but if the train is moving on a curved track their velocities would be different. If you assume a circular track and the compartments are evenly spaced then the velocity of the middle compartment will be the average of its neighbors.

Hi Tide!

Why would it be the average of the two velocities. Considering that the train is moving in a circular track, then v1 is pointing in one direction, v2 in another, so the final would be the average velocity of v1 and a component of v2... Am I wrong somewhere... please help me to clear this out.

Thank you.

deydas said:
Hi Tide!

Why would it be the average of the two velocities. Considering that the train is moving in a circular track, then v1 is pointing in one direction, v2 in another, so the final would be the average velocity of v1 and a component of v2... Am I wrong somewhere... please help me to clear this out.

Thank you.

You can express the velocity as

[tex]\vec v = v_0 (-\sin \theta \hat i + \cos \theta \hat j)[/tex]

The starting point is unimportant on a circular track. If the radius of curvature of the track is much greater than the length of a single compartment then the change in [itex]\theta[/itex] from one to the next is small enough to use the small angle approximation for the trig functions. If the "last car" is at [itex]\theta = 0[/itex] and the "first car" is at [itex]\theta = 2 \alpha[/itex] then the middle car will be at [itex]\theta = \alpha[/itex]

Keeping first order terms, the respective velocities of the cars are

[tex]v_{last} = v_0 \hat j[/tex]
[tex]v_{first} = v_0 (-2 \alpha \hat i + \hat j)[/tex]
[tex]v_{middle} = v_0 (-\alpha \hat i + \hat j)[/tex]

so the velocity of the middle car is the average of its neighbors. Of course you're free to use the full trig functions if you actually know the relative magnitude of the car length and the track's radius of curvature.

1. What is the velocity of the middle compartment?

The velocity of the middle compartment refers to the speed at which fluid or particles move through the center chamber of a system or apparatus. It can be measured in units such as meters per second or miles per hour.

2. How is the velocity of the middle compartment calculated?

The velocity of the middle compartment is typically calculated by dividing the volume of fluid or particles passing through the chamber by the time it takes to pass through. This is known as the average velocity and can be calculated using the formula V = d/t, where V is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of the middle compartment?

The velocity of the middle compartment can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the size and shape of the compartment, the viscosity of the fluid or particles, and the force or pressure applied to the system. Changes in these factors can alter the speed at which the fluid or particles move through the chamber.

4. Why is the velocity of the middle compartment important in scientific research?

The velocity of the middle compartment is an important measurement in various fields of scientific research, such as fluid mechanics, chemical engineering, and environmental science. It can provide insights into the behavior and movement of fluids and particles in different systems, which can have practical applications in industries such as transportation, energy, and manufacturing.

5. How can the velocity of the middle compartment be controlled or manipulated?

The velocity of the middle compartment can be controlled or manipulated through various methods, such as adjusting the size and shape of the chamber, changing the properties of the fluid or particles, and altering the external forces applied to the system. These methods can be used to optimize and control the movement of fluids and particles for specific purposes and applications.