Extracellular signals and embryonic development

• Thread starter nautica
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signals
In summary, the conversation suggests that the presence of calcium is necessary for the activation of KCl in triggering intracellular changes. Without calcium, the activation by KCl is prevented. The membrane potential and Ca levels play a crucial role in the onset of embryonic development. Adding a calcium ionophore to regular seawater or calcium-free seawater would not necessarily result in the addition of calcium, but would assist in transporting calcium across the membrane.
nautica
Suspending clam eggs in seawater containing 60 mM KCl triggers intracellular changes but if the sea water lacks calcium it prevents the activation by the 60 mM KCl.

1) What does this suggest about the mechanism of KCl activation?

I know that the membrane potential is maintained by the K leak channels. And although Cl- ions equilibrate across the membrane, the membrane potential keeps most of these ions out of the cell b/c of their negative charge. Therefore, the change in extracellular signals induce an increase in cytosolic Ca level. In egg cells, a sudden rise in cytosolic Ca concentration triggers a Ca wave that is responsible for the onset of embryonic developement. This suggest that the KCl is only an extra cellular signal and the Ca is responsible for the intracellular development or changes.

2) What would happen if the calcium ionophore was added to a suspension of eggs in a) regular seawater or b) calcium-free seawater.

I am having a bit more trouble with this one. But, I would assume that in both regular and calcium free sea water it will induce embryonic developement. That is assuming that the Ca Ionophore actually contains calcium.

Do I seem to be on the right track with both of these? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks
Nautica

Biology news on Phys.org
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The ionophore wouldn't imply addition of calcium. A calcium ionophore would help transport Ca across a membrane. The question doesn't indicate if there is any directionality to it, so I can only assume it would just more readily allow calcium across the membrane in any direction, so it still seems Ca would still be diffusing toward the direction of lowest concentration.

1. What are extracellular signals?

Extracellular signals are molecules or chemical compounds that are released by cells and act as messengers to communicate with neighboring cells. These signals play a crucial role in regulating various biological processes, including embryonic development.

2. How do extracellular signals affect embryonic development?

Extracellular signals can influence cell growth, differentiation, and migration during embryonic development. They can also regulate the formation of tissues and organs in the developing embryo.

3. What are some examples of extracellular signals involved in embryonic development?

Some common extracellular signals involved in embryonic development include growth factors, hormones, and cytokines. These signals can originate from nearby cells, tissues, or even distant organs in the body.

4. How do cells respond to extracellular signals during embryonic development?

Cells have specific receptors on their surface that can detect and bind to extracellular signals, triggering a cascade of biochemical reactions inside the cell. This response can lead to changes in gene expression and ultimately affect the cell's behavior and function.

5. Can extracellular signals be manipulated for therapeutic purposes?

Yes, researchers have been able to manipulate extracellular signals to promote tissue repair and regeneration in certain diseases and injuries. This approach, known as regenerative medicine, holds promise for treating various developmental disorders and diseases.