Information on photoluminescence?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding information on photoluminescence, specifically related to an LCD projector with a light source of 500 lumens and the distance needed to project an image with the best contrast. The main factor to consider is room illumination and an acceptable contrast ratio is around 20:1. The individual is seeking more material on this topic as they are new to it.
sharp81
Can anyone tell me any good websites which have information on photoluminescence?

Also, i have an lcd projector with a light source which has about 500 lumens as the light intensity.If i need to project an image of an chess board on the lcd onto the screen with the best contrast say for a 32 gray levels(5 bit) what shld be the distance to screen

Physics news on Phys.org
Room illumination is the main factor you need to determine.
Also what do you consider to be an acceptable contrast ratio.

i am considering a contrast ratio of abt 20:1.i need some good material on this topic as i am very new to these.

1. What is photoluminescence?

Photoluminescence is the emission of light from a material after it has absorbed energy from an external source, such as light or heat. This process occurs when electrons in the material's atoms are excited to a higher energy level and then emit light as they return to their original energy level.

2. What are the applications of photoluminescence?

Photoluminescence has various applications in fields such as lighting, display technology, and biomedical imaging. It is also used in various materials and devices, including LEDs, solar cells, and fluorescent dyes.

3. What factors affect the photoluminescence of a material?

The photoluminescence of a material can be affected by factors such as the material's composition, structure, and purity, as well as external factors like temperature and exposure to light or other energy sources.

4. How is photoluminescence measured?

Photoluminescence can be measured using various techniques, including spectroscopy, microscopy, and imaging. These methods involve analyzing the intensity, wavelength, and decay time of the emitted light to characterize the photoluminescence of a material.

5. Can photoluminescence be used for material analysis?

Yes, photoluminescence can be used for material analysis, particularly in the study of semiconductors, nanomaterials, and biological samples. By measuring the photoluminescence of a material, we can gain insights into its composition, structure, and other properties.