Finding Data Sets & Ideas for Neural Network Training

In summary, if you are looking for advice on training a neural network, you can search for large datasets online and consider working on projects related to natural language processing, computer vision, or social problems.
mrb427
I'm looking for advice. I have an assignment to train a neural network. I am confident in my abilities to write the code and train the neural network. The problems are:

1. I lack an idea. I'd like to do something interesting and potentially useful, obviously.

2. I need a rather large data set for training/validation. For past projects, data sets have been provided for me.

So I guess my main question is: can anyone offer advice on where I can find large data sets which I could use for training/validating a neural network? Secondly, I am open to project idea suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. You could try searching publicly available datasets online. There are a number of websites that provide such listings. A few examples include Kaggle, UCI Machine Learning Repository, and Google Dataset Search. 2. As for project ideas, you could consider working on projects related to natural language processing, computer vision, or time-series prediction. These types of problems are often well suited for neural networks. Additionally, you could look into applying neural networks to solve social problems such as climate change, healthcare, and poverty.

1. How do I find appropriate data sets for neural network training?

There are several ways to find data sets for neural network training. You can search online for publicly available data sets, use data sharing platforms such as Kaggle, or collect your own data through experiments or surveys.

2. What are some important factors to consider when choosing a data set for neural network training?

When choosing a data set for neural network training, you should consider the size of the data set, its diversity, and its relevance to your specific problem or task. It is also important to ensure that the data set is clean and free from bias.

3. Can I use any type of data for neural network training?

In general, any type of data can be used for neural network training as long as it is in a numerical format. However, for best results, it is recommended to use data that is relevant and representative of the problem you are trying to solve.

4. How can I come up with new ideas for neural network training?

One way to come up with new ideas for neural network training is to read research papers and stay updated on the latest developments in the field. You can also brainstorm with colleagues or attend conferences and workshops to learn about new techniques and applications of neural networks.

5. Is it possible to use multiple data sets for neural network training?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple data sets for neural network training. This is known as transfer learning and can be useful when the data sets are related or when one data set is not large enough on its own. However, it is important to properly merge and preprocess the data sets to avoid any potential issues.