How often do you wash your clothes?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I'm a bit neurotic. I wash all my clothes (even if I only wore them once) and my sheets weekly. I also air them out every other day if I can. In summary, people who don't wash their clothes often are usually male, and women have a more sensitive sense of smell. T-shirts are usually worn only a few times, and jeans are usually worn only a few times before washing. Sheets are usually washed once a week.
edward said:
Anyone remember starch? That stufff will make clean pants stand up on their own. It used to be mandatory in the military.:yuck:
My dad was (is) tough as nails and quit school to join airborne in WWII. Starch and wool both bothered his skin terribly. I share his sensitivity, and can't bear to wear wool or stiff clothes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I was amazed when I saw this article that said that you should wear pants and shirts/blouses 4-5 times before washing. :eek:

I would *never* consider that with clothes I wear to work. Clothes pick up smells, it's not a matter of do they look dirty. After work each day, my clothes go into the dirty clothes hamper. The exception is a suit jacket which I will wear several times before sending to the dry cleaners.
This doesn't apply to mountain climbing (that is going alpine) btw. :biggrin:

Shirts, socks, undies only ever get worn once per washing (unless it's a stinky pyjama day). Pants will go a couple of days.

nucleargirl said:
when I was working at the slave-labour bakery I didnt wash my clothes for nearly a week of wear. what's the point? as soon as I start working all new clothes would smell of bakery anyway. and sweat is 'clean!' as long as you let it dry so no bacteria grows, its ok! actually I knew I smelled but I just didnt care anymore! grrr! they deserved to have smelly employees!

Ah. Now we have the answer to why https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=464326" was needed...
:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
And when you attempt to wash them, if they should run away from you -- then, you have waited too long.

In that case I'll let it go. There is plenty of new pants in the store.

Jackets and sweaters, usually seasonal.

Pants, every 5 wears (I dress informally half the time).

Bed linen, every 2 weeks.

Shirts, socks, undies, hand towels, every week.

Now I have hung out my dirty laundry for all PF to see!:yuck:

The laundry wrinkles less if I ride along.:rofl:

God...I'm almost embarrased to say that I wore the same uniform for 4 weeks in basic training because I didn't want to have to refold and all that every 2 days. Frebreeze was my best friend...

Nowadays I wear my shirts, socks, and underwear once before they get washed. The only exceptions is maybe on the weekends when I'm lazy, or a shirt that I put on after work one day I'll use the next again.

Obviously, if something actually gets dirty and smelly I'll wash it before I wear it again. And I'm a firm believer that most women have better smells than men. So if that guy next to you is smelly, he probably doesn't even know about it.

Loren Booda said:
Bed linen, every 2 weeks (except with a certain visitor).

*wink wink*

Wish I had a visitor in my bed other than my hairy cat... :frown:

Loren Booda said:
Shirts, socks, undies, hand towels, every week.

I assume that's when you wash them, not when you change them (which is the underlying issue in this thread by the look of it)?

Drakkith said:
*wink wink*

Wish I had a visitor in my bed other than my hairy cat... :frown:

(For some reasons) I just stopped sleeping on my bed.

Sourabh N said:
(For some reasons) I just stopped sleeping on my bed.

Huh?

Drakkith said:
...I wore the same uniform for 4 weeks...

Drakkith said:
...Wish I had a visitor in my bed other than my hairy cat...

Coincidence? :wink:

DaveC426913 said:
Coincidence? :wink:

According to my ex GF she liked my "smell".

Maybe she was a sasquatch though...I'll have to investigate this...

Drakkith said:
:frown:

:)))) awww...

I'm a bit weird, I wash stuff when it needs washing.
Personally I think people who wash stuff after one wear are off their rocker (no offence intended :tongue:).
So that is a minimum of a week for most items,often months for outer garments, but they would not be worn every day. It is a waste of time and energy and damages clothes.
All those cleaning products are also bad for you I believe, making you more likely to develop stuff like allergies and asthma.

As I wash myself daily there really is no problem.

I wash them when it's convenient. My 8-10 gym shirts will see more washes in their lifetimes than all my other shirts and pants combined.

Daily: socks and underwear; t-shirts if I've been at the gym in them

Every other day: t-shirts

Once or twice a week: pants, outer shirts (if worn often), sheets and pillow cases, bathroom towel, kitchen hand towel, dish towel.

As required: Jackets, shoes, hats, gloves

mugaliens said:
Daily: socks and underwear; t-shirts if I've been at the gym in them

Every other day: t-shirts

Once or twice a week: pants, outer shirts (if worn often), sheets and pillow cases, bathroom towel, kitchen hand towel, dish towel.

As required: Jackets, shoes, hats, gloves

Good to see you, mugs :smile:!

Can you wash clothes? :biggrin:

<h2>1. How often should I wash my clothes?</h2><p>The frequency of washing your clothes depends on several factors such as the type of fabric, how often you wear the clothes, and your personal preference. Generally, it is recommended to wash your clothes after every 1-2 wears to maintain hygiene and freshness.</p><h2>2. Can I wear my clothes multiple times before washing?</h2><p>It is not recommended to wear your clothes multiple times before washing them. Each time you wear your clothes, they accumulate sweat, body oils, and dirt which can lead to the growth of bacteria and unpleasant odors. It is best to wash your clothes after each wear to maintain hygiene.</p><h2>3. How often should I wash my jeans?</h2><p>Jeans are made of sturdy fabric and can withstand multiple wears before washing. It is recommended to wash your jeans after every 5-6 wears to maintain their shape and color. However, if your jeans get visibly dirty or have a strong odor, it is best to wash them immediately.</p><h2>4. Is it necessary to wash new clothes before wearing them?</h2><p>It is not necessary to wash new clothes before wearing them, but it is recommended. New clothes may have chemicals, dyes, or other irritants that can cause skin irritation. Washing them before wearing can also help to remove any germs or bacteria that may have accumulated during the manufacturing and shipping process.</p><h2>5. How often should I wash my towels and bed sheets?</h2><p>Towels and bed sheets should be washed at least once a week. These items come in contact with our skin and can accumulate sweat, body oils, and dead skin cells. Washing them regularly can prevent the growth of bacteria and maintain their freshness.</p>

1. How often should I wash my clothes?

The frequency of washing your clothes depends on several factors such as the type of fabric, how often you wear the clothes, and your personal preference. Generally, it is recommended to wash your clothes after every 1-2 wears to maintain hygiene and freshness.

2. Can I wear my clothes multiple times before washing?

It is not recommended to wear your clothes multiple times before washing them. Each time you wear your clothes, they accumulate sweat, body oils, and dirt which can lead to the growth of bacteria and unpleasant odors. It is best to wash your clothes after each wear to maintain hygiene.

3. How often should I wash my jeans?

Jeans are made of sturdy fabric and can withstand multiple wears before washing. It is recommended to wash your jeans after every 5-6 wears to maintain their shape and color. However, if your jeans get visibly dirty or have a strong odor, it is best to wash them immediately.

4. Is it necessary to wash new clothes before wearing them?

It is not necessary to wash new clothes before wearing them, but it is recommended. New clothes may have chemicals, dyes, or other irritants that can cause skin irritation. Washing them before wearing can also help to remove any germs or bacteria that may have accumulated during the manufacturing and shipping process.

5. How often should I wash my towels and bed sheets?

Towels and bed sheets should be washed at least once a week. These items come in contact with our skin and can accumulate sweat, body oils, and dead skin cells. Washing them regularly can prevent the growth of bacteria and maintain their freshness.