Velocity of wood block down an incline

In summary: oh! theta is the angle theta makes with the x-axis. so if it is at 0 degrees then theta would be 0 degrees and if it is at 30 degrees then theta would be 30 degrees. so in summary, if theta is not at 0 degrees or 30 degrees, then the block has not reached its final destination.
FancyNut
A 2.0 kg wood block is launched up a wooden ramp that is inclined at a angle. The block's initial speed is 10 m/s . The coefficient of kinetic friction of wood on wood is .200.

So that's the intro... The first question is to get the hight it reachers on the incline and I got that right = 3.79 meters. During solving the first part I got delta x and it's = 1.89 meters.

it's the second part I don't know and it actually looks like the easier part. o_O

What speed does it have when it slides back down to its starting point?

I anaylized the block from its position on top again with friction being positive (because its direction is right) and calculated the new acceleration which turned out to be -3.2 m/s^2.

Just to be sure this is it:

[tex]a_x = (u_k mgcos(30) - mgsin(30) )/m[/tex]

of course I got mg out and m canceled with the bottom and the the final expression looked different..

I know the initial velocity is zero, so the final one (where it reaches the part it started on in the introduction) is the square root of 2 times acceleration times delta x... all numbers I have.

The number I got was 3.46 m/s and it turned out to be incorrect. =\

Where did I go wrong here? Thanks for any advice! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the second part would be more easily done using energy

Kinetic energy(initial) + potential Energy(initial) + Work = kinetic energy(final) + potential(final)

You know the initial KE, the initial PE, the work you can calculate, the final PE is 0 (if u have your datum line at the starting position), and the final KE is what you are looking for (or more correclty the velocity component of it)

we haven't reached those topics yet... and I don't remember anything from high school. :redface:

ok, where you went went was using delta x...you don't want to use delta x, you want to use the length that the box moves along, which is the hypotenuse of the triangle (or your answer from part a)

Spectre5 said:
ok, where you went went was using delta x...you don't want to use delta x, you want to use the length that the box moves along, which is the hypotenuse of the triangle (or your answer from part a)

delta x is the hypotenuse-- I needed to get it before calculating the hight it reaches for part a. 3.79 meters is the hight which is the side opposite to theta = 30. I did try using 3.79 for the distance anyway and the result was still wrong. :(

hm...mind drawing a basic diagram? What's the answer? I think I would get 4.93 if I did the right problem

Last edited:
if the hieght is 3.79 and the hypotenuse is 1.89...then you could not have a 30 degree angle...where the sin(theta) = hieght/hypotenuse

Ok beware this is my own drawing of the problem... there is not graph with the question so this is just my interpetation... using my not-so-l33t microsoft paint skills...

graph.bmp.jpg

A = 3.79 meters <--- this has to be correct because I got the answer right

delta x is the distance between the block when it was at the bottom and when it was at the top: 1.89 meters <--- also correct because I used it to get A

The block at the bottom is when it was pushed in the first part of the problem-- they wanted to know the hight it reaches which is A. For the second part-- the one I'm stuck on-- they want the velocity of the block when it slides back down to its starting point. Since it slides back down velocity_initial is zero and I already know displacement so the acceleration is the last thing I need... and I calculated it 3 times already with the same result. :(

this is the shorter version of what was in the first post:

[tex]a_x = g (u_k cos(30) - sin(30) )[/tex]

[EDIT]

These were my answer attempts:

Last edited:
Think about it...how can theta be 30 degrees then??

do this on your calculator:

arcsin(3.79/1.89)

that does not even exist, let alone being 30 degrees

How can the hypotenuse of a right triangle be smaller than either side?? Perhaps the question was to find the distance it moved...and if it was not, then your hypotenuse could not be 1.89...

Do you know the answer?

the 1.89 is just the delta x, the distance it moved on the incline... I was wrong for saying it's the hypotenuse.. sorry. :eek:

Spectre5 said:
Do you know the answer?

no but it's very tempting to click "show answer." I'm going to do it any minute now...

Lol...I think u have confused me now, I have no idea what the question is anymore...if it moved by delta x and is not at a hieght of 3.79, then it must have had some initial hieght before moving?

ah to hell with it... it doesn't count many points in the big picture anyway...

*clicks show answer*

It's 6.97 m/s

Spectre5 said:
Lol...I think u have confused me now, I have no idea what the question is anymore...if it moved by delta x and is not at a hieght of 3.79, then it must have had some initial hieght before moving?

*thinks a bit*

Yeah why I said doesn't make any sense... :(

lol...ok...just so u know...here it is...

the hieght is 3.79
the angle is 30degrees

so 3.79 / sin(30) = 7.58 = hypotenuse

then use that and you get 6.97 m/s

Ok here's the whole thing...

problem.bmp.jpg

EDIT: didn't see your last post! :rofl:

Thanks for the help man. :biggrin:

EDIT 2: Just noticed that screen grab is useless at that size. -_-

actually, I can read it :)

lol...yea...hopefully next time we won't have as much confusion.. :)

Just one question: I just used the kintematic equation with 7.58 and got the correct velocity... Now the 7.58 is the displacement the block had-- isn't that the SAME displacement it had when pushed UP the incline? It went up for 1.89 meters... shouldn't also come down for 1.89 meters?

Unless the 1.89 I got for part a is wrong and the solution for hight was a fluke... :eek:

I think the solution you got for the hieght was an accident...I think you mixed a sin or cos or somethoing somewhere...the displacement is 7.58 and that is also how far it should have gone up...

Last edited:
Yeah it was a fluke... I just did it again and there is no 1.89 to be seen.

What did I get?

Twice as much as 7.8...

*sigh...*

*goes back to calculations *

lol...yea...that sounds a little better :)

OMG. :eek:

I just did get a 7.8... the reason I had it wrong because I forgot the y-component of weight is NEGATIVE!

I can rest in peace now. :smile:

1. What is the velocity of a wood block down an incline?

The velocity of a wood block down an incline depends on several factors such as the angle of the incline, the mass of the wood block, and the friction present. It can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the incline.

2. How does friction affect the velocity of a wood block down an incline?

Friction acts against the motion of the wood block down the incline, causing a decrease in velocity. The amount of friction present depends on the type of surface the wood block is sliding on and the force applied to the block. To calculate the effect of friction on the velocity, one can use the equation Ff = μmgcosθ, where Ff is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

3. Does the mass of the wood block affect its velocity down an incline?

Yes, the mass of the wood block does affect its velocity down an incline. The heavier the block, the greater the force of gravity acting on it, resulting in a higher velocity. However, the effect of mass on velocity is not as significant as the angle of the incline and the amount of friction present.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the velocity of a wood block?

The angle of the incline has a significant effect on the velocity of a wood block. As the angle increases, the velocity of the block also increases. This is because the force of gravity acting on the block becomes more parallel to the incline, resulting in a greater component of force in the direction of motion. The relationship between the angle of the incline and the velocity can be described by the equation v = √(2gsinθ), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

5. Is the velocity of a wood block down an incline constant?

No, the velocity of a wood block down an incline is not constant. As the block moves down the incline, it experiences a changing force of gravity and friction, which can cause fluctuations in its velocity. However, in the absence of external forces, the velocity at any given point on the incline can be calculated using the equations mentioned above.