Cutting 6mm Dia Glassfiber Disks - Tips & Ideas

• Thread starter beho86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machining
In summary, the conversation discusses the best and most affordable way to cut ~6 mm diameter disks with a 3-4 mm thickness from a composite material made of layered glassfiber. Suggestions include using a punch, custom-made hollow cutter, hole saw, CNC mill, wood plug cutter, abrasive water jet, and jigsaw. The most recommended method is using a wood plug cutter due to its affordability and effectiveness in cutting the desired shape with minimal waste.
beho86
Hello,
I am working on a project, and I need to cut ~ 6 mm dia disks, and 3~4 mm thickness. The material is a composite made out of layered glassfiber. I am cutting those samples out of a 5 x 5 in composite.

My question is what is the best, accurate, and affordable way to cut those samples?

I tried to use a punch through the panel, but it gave me a destroyed disk. I have a custom made hallow cutter to cut the disks, but the tip bended with only 2 ~3 samples prepared.

I was thinking about using a hole saw, but I couldn't find a 1/4 in dia cutter, as I need the disks to have well refined edges. Any tips or ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most plastics including reinforced materials are commonly machined just like metals on lathes, mills, etc... This is a lathe cut part.

so, probably the only way is to use a CNC mill, but it is going to waste a lot of materials. Thanks for the suggestion Q_Goest

You might try a wood plug cutter. These work in a drill press and are used to cut round plugs from a board. 1/4 in. is a common size. Fiberglass can usually be worked with wood cutting tools. Plug cutters are cheap, so give it a try.

Yeah, the wood plug sounds good, as long as your setup is very rigid. I'm assuming you won't have a center drill because you want an entire disc, so you'll have to find a way to mount the plug cutter.

Also don't underestimate making an oversize cut by hand and then sanding it to the desired radius. It will take a little finesse, but it is the cheapest way, and if it meets your tolerances/specs, there's no reason not too.

Lastly, a cnc mill will give you the best results, and you could potentially lose the least amount of material depending on what end-of mill you use.

What is the thickness of th 5*5 sheet you have and what are your tolerances?

Plug cutters mount in a standard drill press chuck, same as a drill. They do not have a center hole, although some have a centering pin, which I think retracts as you drill. Once you've run the plug cutter, you cut the plug free from the block with a saw (band saws work good for this, also hand saws). Cut the plug a little longer than needed and then sand to final length.

You can buy one at Home Depot or Loews, shouldn't need to go to a high end or specialty store.

I was thinking about using plug cutters, but It will probably waste the same amount if I were to mill the disk using 1/8 end mill. don't the disk gets stuck inside the plug cutter?
I will try to use the cnc mill tomorrow and see.
The thickness of the 5 x 5 in blocks is about 4 mm. refining the disk by hand will take a lot of time, as I will be cutting more than 50 disk. Thanks guys

For that material, abrasive water jet will give you the best surface finish.

Is this FR4 or a similar material? If so the best option is to used a carbide (or better) tool at high speed.

Actually, the very best option is to use a water jet like stated above.

Water jet will be expensive for my work. It's similar to FR4, but it has several layers. I will be trying a plug cutter tomorrow, and I hope it works. it should be probably the fastest.

You could try using a jigsaw if you don't need the cuts to be very precise.

Thanks a lot guys. I used a wood plug cutter, and it worked like a charm. thx

1. How do I prevent the glassfiber disks from breaking during cutting?

One tip is to use a sharp blade or cutting tool to make clean and precise cuts. Additionally, placing a sheet of cardboard or foam under the glassfiber while cutting can provide support and prevent the disks from breaking.

2. What is the best way to cut 6mm diameter glassfiber disks?

The best way to cut glassfiber disks is by using a rotary tool with a diamond cutting wheel. This will allow for precise and clean cuts without damaging the disks.

3. Can I use a regular scissors or knife to cut the glassfiber disks?

No, it is not recommended to use regular scissors or knives to cut glassfiber disks. These tools may cause the disks to break or create uneven cuts. It is best to use specialized tools designed for cutting glassfiber materials.

4. How do I remove any rough edges or burrs after cutting the glassfiber disks?

You can use sandpaper or a sanding block to smooth out any rough edges or burrs on the glassfiber disks. Be sure to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, while sanding.

5. What precautions should I take when cutting glassfiber disks?

It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, while cutting glassfiber disks. Additionally, work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any glassfiber particles. Clean up any excess fibers and dispose of them properly to avoid any potential hazards.