Can permanent magnets be modeled as set of magnetic charges ?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of modeling permanent magnets as a set of magnetic charges distributed over the geometry of the magnet. It is suggested that this approach may be easier for simulations, but there are limitations such as the inaccuracy of the magnetic field inside the magnet and the fact that magnetic dipoles do not follow a 1/r^2 interaction.
Kahlua
Can permanent magnets be modeled as set of "magnetic charges"?

Computing the full magnetic field of a permanent magnet and what forces two permenant magnets exert on each other is obviously a field theoretic problem that requires a solve using e.g. a FEA method or simular.
For two idealized magnetic poles the force is proportional to ~ 1/r^2.
See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet#Force_between_two_magnetic_poles

I was wondering if one to a good approximation can model a magnet as a set of magnetic "charges" distributed over the geometry of the magnet. Then positive charges would be placed on one pole and negative charges on the other pole and one would simply use the 1/r^2 law and sum up forces from this. What would be the limitations of such a model?
It looks like an electric dipole to me, and then I suppose it isn't ideal as a magnetic dipole...

Obviously, we know that two magnetic dipoles do not have 1/r^2 interaction, but more like 1/r^4 interaction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_moment#Forces_between_two_magnetic_dipoles
Is this obtained approximately by integrating (summing) over "magnetic charges" like above with a 1/r^2 force law?

I guess one limitation is that the charge model goes all wrong for the magnetic field of magnet A inside magnet B (becuase of permeability) so I suppose force summations for "magnetic charges" inside the magnet also goes wrong because of this?

I thought the discrete magnetic charge approach would be a lot easier to use in a simulation compared to solving for the magnetic field on a background mesh, but need to understand if the model makes any sense, and before refreshing myself with Jackson, I wanted to ask for advice since I'm sure someone's got answers for me ;-)

Physics news on Phys.org

yes.
a magnets external magnetic field can be thought of as arising from a distribution of monopoles within the magnet

some situations are easier to solve that way.
Some arent

1. Can permanent magnets be modeled as a set of magnetic charges?

Yes, permanent magnets can be modeled as a set of magnetic charges. This is known as the Ampere model, which states that a permanent magnet can be represented as a large number of microscopic magnetic dipoles arranged in a specific pattern.

2. How does the Ampere model explain the behavior of permanent magnets?

The Ampere model explains the behavior of permanent magnets by stating that the arrangement of microscopic magnetic dipoles creates a magnetic field that is responsible for the attraction and repulsion between magnets.

3. Are there any limitations to modeling permanent magnets as a set of magnetic charges?

Yes, there are some limitations to this model. It does not fully explain the behavior of all types of magnets, such as ferromagnetic materials, and it does not take into account the effects of temperature and external magnetic fields.

4. How does the Ampere model differ from the molecular model of magnetism?

The Ampere model differs from the molecular model of magnetism in terms of the scale at which it operates. The Ampere model focuses on the behavior of magnetic dipoles at a microscopic level, while the molecular model looks at the atomic and molecular level.

5. Can the Ampere model be used to accurately predict the behavior of all types of magnets?

No, the Ampere model is limited in its ability to predict the behavior of all types of magnets. It is more applicable to permanent magnets, while other models such as the molecular model may be more suitable for predicting the behavior of other types of magnets.