My CPU Usage Suddenly at 100% - What Do I Do?

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cpu
In summary: I can't connect to the internet.Steps to take to try and solve the problem:1. Check CPU usage in task manager to see if there is any significant CPU usage being used.2. Remove any processes that are using a lot of CPU resources.3. Run the MsConfig utility to check for any viruses or programs that might be causing the problem.4. Restart the computer to see if the problem is resolved.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Suddenly, my system performance indicator shows that my CPU usage is 100% - and this is just after start-up (ie : without starting any programs other than those processes that automatically open and reside in memory)

I only checked this because my computer (an old 750 MHz Dell Dimension, running Win 2K) seems to have slowed the hell down like crazy all of a sudden, and I was worried :frown:. I just ran Ad-aware to clear up data miners and other such programs...so I'm at a loss why this suddenly happened.

Also, I can't seem to connect to the internet anymore...is this related ?

HELP ! :cry: I'm a total computer ignoramus, so please be gentle.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you do a control+alt+del and check your task manager, what processes are taking up the most memory? I had a similar problem recently, and I found a suspicious program eating up my resources. Turned out to be a virus. I don't know if that's what's going on with your machine, but I would certainly take a peek at the processes tab in Task Manager and see if anything looks fishy.

I agree with Math Is Hard.
You almost certainly have a virus.
Check the CPU usage in task manager, rather than memory.
Click the CPU column under the "process" tab to sort by usage
Only the "system idle process" should show any significant CPU usage.
Anything else is suspect.

I use Process Explorer from http://sysinternals.com/ instead of the windows taskmanger. You get more info that way.
You might want to take a look at it and see which "connections" are causing you problems.
Then perhaps you should Run the process called MsConfig, and go to the Autostart section; see which programs there might be viruses or programs of similar agenda and remove them so they do not start again. If you are not sure which the virus is, then post every entry on your list here and i can help you.

MiH, I did try that, but I'm not any good at telling if a name is "fishy"...so I really couldn't tell.

And yes, it does look like there's a trojan/virus running around, 'cause when I restarted this morning, my virus shield detected an infected file. Haven't had the time to look into it yet...will do that when I get home tonight.

Also, when I restart and log in under Safe Mode, my CPU usage is down to normal levels, but I still can't connect to the internet (I have a cable modem connection).

Thanks for advice all. Dilbert, I'll check out the Process Explorer tonight and perhaps post the entries tomorrow. The problem with all this is that I can't use the internet at my home computer anymore. Can this really be related ??

MiH, I did try that, but I'm not any good at telling if a name is "fishy"...so I really couldn't tell.

Or you can just get a screencap or two about the taskman window for the wizs to dwell.

Gokul43201 said:
The problem with all this is that I can't use the internet at my home computer anymore. Can this really be related ??

hmm, i cannot really say.
Gokul, look in the MsConfig list, look for a "avserve.exe". If you have that entry then remove it from autostart.

or server.exe, that's usually what most trojans run under.

Gokul43201 said:

Just type the name of the process in Google for instance. you will find a lot of informations about it, and so you can see if it's a normal windows process or not ...

Good luck ! :)

Major

1. Why is my CPU usage suddenly at 100%?

There could be several reasons for sudden high CPU usage. It could be due to a virus or malware infection, a malfunctioning application or software, or outdated drivers.

2. How do I check my CPU usage?

You can check your CPU usage by opening the Task Manager (Windows) or Activity Monitor (Mac) and looking at the CPU tab. It will show you the percentage of CPU usage for each application or process.

3. What should I do if my CPU usage is at 100%?

If your CPU usage is at 100%, it is important to first identify the cause. Check for any virus or malware infections, update your drivers, and close any unnecessary applications. If the issue persists, you may need to seek professional help.

4. Can high CPU usage damage my computer?

High CPU usage can lead to overheating, which can potentially damage your computer. It is important to resolve the issue as soon as possible to prevent any damage.

5. How can I reduce my CPU usage?

To reduce your CPU usage, you can close any unnecessary applications, update your software and drivers, and run a virus scan. You can also try adjusting the power settings or upgrading your hardware if necessary.