Aspiring automotive engineer looking for advanced information.

In summary, to become an automotive engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field, and some employers may prefer candidates with a master's degree. Important skills for aspiring automotive engineers include a strong background in math and physics, critical thinking, attention to detail, and knowledge of CAD software and programming languages. Automotive engineers work on a variety of projects related to vehicle design, development, and testing. While there are no specific certifications or licenses required, obtaining a PE license may be beneficial for career advancement. The job outlook for automotive engineers is generally positive, with a 4% expected growth rate, but can vary depending on the specific field and economic factors. Staying updated on technology advancements and gaining relevant experience can improve
Spinspin
Hello there, (Sorry, I hope not to come on here too forward or over anyone's head).

I am 25 years old (Junior), I seek information and am super hungry for it. I seek how to design cars, and all aspects thereof. I have decided to pursue establishing my own automotive engineering firm, and have dedicated most of my spare time since I was 12 and most of my working life in a field related to automobiles.

I have already read many books, magazines, watched many MIT, UCBerkeley, Standford, Texas A&M youtube videos about engineering, physics, chemistry, robotics, and much more. Recently I have googled almost daily for new subjects to study and read up for hours at a time whenever I have time off. I have done this for about 5-6 years now, so, I am about as google literate as possible. However, now I am completely stuck. I can not find the more advanced info I search for.

I want to know if there is a specific source where I can find engineering principles and theory regarding engines themselves? I have many books already (from rebuilding to modifying), and have read so many articles and magazines, but I can't find a "Holy Bible" of engine design theory. Like, if I were to make an engine out of a block of metal kind of thing.

All information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I am excited to hear about your passion for automotive engineering and your goal of establishing your own firm. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to pursue such a path, so kudos to you for that.

I can understand your hunger for knowledge and the frustration of not being able to find the information you are looking for. While there may not be a "Holy Bible" of engine design theory, there are definitely some reliable sources for advanced information on engines.

One resource I would recommend is the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). They have a vast collection of technical papers and journals on various aspects of automotive engineering, including engine design. You can access their publications through their website or through a university library that has a subscription to their database.

Another source I would suggest is academic journals in the field of mechanical engineering. These journals often publish research articles on engine design and mechanics, and you can access them through a university library or online databases such as JSTOR or ScienceDirect.

Additionally, universities often have open access repositories where researchers publish their work for free. You can search for specific topics related to engine design and find relevant research articles and studies.

I hope these suggestions help in your search for advanced information on engine design. Keep up the hard work and never stop learning! Best of luck in your future endeavors.

1. What education and training is required to become an automotive engineer?

To become an automotive engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some employers may also prefer candidates with a master's degree in automotive engineering. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs can also be beneficial.

2. What skills are important for aspiring automotive engineers to have?

A strong background in math and physics is essential for automotive engineers, as well as critical thinking skills and attention to detail. Knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and programming languages may also be necessary for certain roles in the automotive industry.

3. What types of projects do automotive engineers work on?

Automotive engineers work on a variety of projects related to designing, developing, and testing vehicles. This can include creating new engine designs, developing safety features, improving fuel efficiency, and implementing new technologies in vehicle systems.

4. Are there any specific certifications or licenses required for automotive engineers?

In most cases, automotive engineers do not need any specific certifications or licenses. However, obtaining a professional engineering (PE) license may be beneficial for career advancement in certain industries.

5. What is the job outlook for automotive engineers?

The job outlook for automotive engineers is generally positive, with an expected growth rate of 4% from 2019-2029. However, this can vary depending on the specific field within the automotive industry, as well as economic factors. Keeping up with advancements in technology and gaining relevant experience can help improve job prospects for aspiring automotive engineers.