Audio Stimulus for Engineering: How to Stay Creative in University

• Thread starter 3dot
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is discussing their experience as an engineering student and their habit of listening to audiobooks in their free time. They also mention a health issue and the challenge of dismissing distractions while studying. They ask for advice on how to approach learning physics, science, and engineering with a strong auditory center in their brain.
3dot
Hello, this is my first discussion post on these forums and I hope I won't break any rules. I have only two years of university study in engineering, and so to begin with: I am what a motor in your car is to a nano-motor. I'll probably sound big, but know very little about what is actually important.

My favorite thing to do after a long couple of weeks of intense study at the University of Toronto, was always taking a break by listening to audiobooks by or pertaining to Terry Goodkind, Star Wars. This is a habit I've developed over the high school years and into university, all in all normal. I believe the statistical breakdown is: I have good ears, simply because I hate shows that regularly expose people to dB's well above the regulated standards set by law. My brain is looking for an audio source to initiate creative thought, yet I know that in real life: "It doesn't come to you, you should get it", so to speak. Having left university for a year due to a health problem in the beginning of summer, I find it much harder to dismiss the linguistic spam I see everywhere on WWW, Normal News (which I've always never watched due to decontextualization).

So how do you guys do it? Imagine for a second you were always that one bastard in school who comes to class with a mp3 player only once during a week, and openly demonstrates albeit quietly and politely that he's listening to a book because the lecture has already been understood through a careful application of patience and self-reflection. By not saying anything that is, and at least 90% for your tests or you wasted your life attitude.

How do you do physics/science/engineering when the auditory center of your brain could very well be muscled to the point of absurdity? Where specifically?

(any advice is appreciated)

Physics news on Phys.org
3dot said:
Hello, this is my first discussion post on these forums and I hope I won't break any rules. I have only two years of university study in engineering, and so to begin with: I am what a motor in your car is to a nano-motor. I'll probably sound big, but know very little about what is actually important.

My favorite thing to do after a long couple of weeks of intense study at the University of Toronto, was always taking a break by listening to audiobooks by or pertaining to Terry Goodkind, Star Wars. This is a habit I've developed over the high school years and into university, all in all normal. I believe the statistical breakdown is: I have good ears, simply because I hate shows that regularly expose people to dB's well above the regulated standards set by law. My brain is looking for an audio source to initiate creative thought, yet I know that in real life: "It doesn't come to you, you should get it", so to speak. Having left university for a year due to a health problem in the beginning of summer, I find it much harder to dismiss the linguistic spam I see everywhere on WWW, Normal News (which I've always never watched due to decontextualization).

So how do you guys do it? Imagine for a second you were always that one bastard in school who comes to class with a mp3 player only once during a week, and openly demonstrates albeit quietly and politely that he's listening to a book because the lecture has already been understood through a careful application of patience and self-reflection. By not saying anything that is, and at least 90% for your tests or you wasted your life attitude.

How do you do physics/science/engineering when the auditory center of your brain could very well be muscled to the point of absurdity? Where specifically?

(any advice is appreciated)
It's not clear to me what your question is. That is, as far as I know, and from my experience, one learns physics/science/engineering by reading relevant material, working the problems, learning the math, and memorizing as much as one can.

1. What is audio stimulus for engineering?

Audio stimulus for engineering refers to the use of sound or music to enhance creativity and productivity in the field of engineering. It involves incorporating various types of audio stimuli, such as background music or sound effects, into the engineering process to stimulate the brain and improve focus and problem-solving abilities.

2. How does audio stimulus help in staying creative in university?

Audio stimulus can help in staying creative in university by providing a conducive environment for learning. It can reduce distractions and help students focus better, leading to improved creativity and productivity. Additionally, certain types of music or sounds can trigger specific emotions and memories, which can be helpful in generating new ideas and solutions to engineering problems.

3. What are some examples of audio stimulus for engineering?

Some examples of audio stimulus for engineering include instrumental music, nature sounds, white noise, and binaural beats. These types of audio have been shown to improve focus, reduce stress, and enhance creativity in various studies.

4. Are there any downsides to using audio stimulus in engineering?

While audio stimulus can be beneficial in staying creative in university, it may not work for everyone. Some people may find it distracting or disruptive to their thought process. It's essential to experiment and find the right type and volume of audio that works best for you.

5. Can audio stimulus be used in other areas of engineering besides studying?

Yes, audio stimulus can be used in various areas of engineering, such as brainstorming and problem-solving sessions, design processes, and even during presentations. It can help create a more relaxed and focused atmosphere, leading to better results and outcomes.