General Relativity- an undergrad or grad course

In summary, General Relativity can be taken in undergrad, but it's more geared towards graduate students due to the mathematical background required. It's a pretty popular course, so there shouldn't be any problem finding a seat. Keep in mind that not all physicists use GR, but it's a fundamental part of modern physics.
Judas503
Hey there,

In my university, General Relativity is listed among elective courses (along with an advanced quantum mechanics course). I'm curious to know whether general relativity is really an undergrad course or not. And what are the pros and cons if GR is taken in grad school?

Thanks for reading the post.

Physics news on Phys.org
At my university they offer an "introduction to GR" in undergraduate. I cannot say from experience, but I think GR is actually taken in graduate school, due to the copious mathematical background required.

Judas503 said:
Hey there,

In my university, General Relativity is listed among elective courses (along with an advanced quantum mechanics course). I'm curious to know whether general relativity is really an undergrad course or not. And what are the pros and cons if GR is taken in grad school?

Thanks for reading the post.

It obviously depends on which textbook the course is going to use. If it will use an undergraduate textbook (Hartle, Schutz) then it is obviously an undergraduate course. If not, then it's a graduate course.

GR certainly can be taught at an undergraduate level. There is a lot that you can learn without delving too deep into differential geometry or any of the more difficult mathematical aspects of the theory. If in preparation for a graduate level course, an undergraduate course serves to give you a foundation in the ideas and concepts of GR, leaving you free to focus on the more advanced mathematics.

Keep in mind that GR is not an especially ubiquitous branch of physics, certainly not like quantum mechanics. That is to say, most physicists do not ever need to use GR in their work. However, it seems irresponsible to call one's self a physicist and not at least have a working knowledge of one of the two fundamental pillars of modern physics.

So, will there be any problem if GR is taken at a graduate level? Will there be sufficient time to cover all the concepts bearing in mind that grad physics courses have quantum field theory and relativistic quantum mechanics?

Judas503 said:
So, will there be any problem if GR is taken at a graduate level? Will there be sufficient time to cover all the concepts bearing in mind that grad physics courses have quantum field theory and relativistic quantum mechanics?

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean that the GR course is a graduate level course, and you're worried about prerequisites? Or Are you worried that if you take GR as a graduate student you won't have enough time due to other courses you must take? Please clarify.

I completed two courses of GR in undergrad (one from an cosmology background, one from mathematical physics), with the option of doing another course in it. The first two were quite enough for me.

As a mechanical engineering undergrad, I took a course called "Modern Physics for Engineers" (required, not an elective). About a third of the class was GR. Don't ask me why MEs were required to take it, but I ate it up.

I don't think there would be a problem waiting until grad school for a GR course.

Ok...thanks a lot

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravitation that was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the force of gravity as a curvature in the fabric of space and time.

2. What are the key concepts of General Relativity?

The key concepts of General Relativity include the principle of equivalence, the theory of gravity as a curvature in spacetime, and the concept of geodesics, which are the shortest paths that objects follow in curved space.

3. What are the real-world applications of General Relativity?

General Relativity has many real-world applications, such as predicting the orbit of planets and satellites, understanding the behavior of black holes, and explaining the bending of light by massive objects.

4. How is General Relativity different from Newton's theory of gravity?

General Relativity is a more comprehensive theory of gravity compared to Newton's theory. It takes into account the curvature of spacetime and can explain phenomena that Newton's theory cannot, such as the precession of Mercury's orbit and the bending of light by massive objects.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to understand General Relativity?

A background in physics, particularly in classical mechanics and electromagnetism, is helpful in understanding General Relativity. However, with dedication and effort, anyone can learn the concepts and principles of General Relativity.