Science behind the bore feeling?

• Thread starter luben
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: It is said that boredom can be cured by curiosity, however, I think that curiosity is a part of boredom. In a sense, we are always seeking new and interesting things to do.
luben
Are there any biological/evolutionary reasons for human to need the feeling of being bored?
What would happen if one cannot get bored?
Would a cat/dog/ant/fly also get bored?
Are there medicine that changes bore feeling?
Just some wild questions since i am getting bored :D

Dictionary says the definition of bored is something like "uninterested because of frequent exposure or indulgence". What decipline of psychology/biology should I look into if I want more information?

Biology news on Phys.org
The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr

ah, i like the idea and how this quote sounds. :D
BTW, is it possible to get someone to be curious on something which is boring? ... it would be very good if i have a theory to control the amount of curiosity in my mind and the "direction" of this curiosity :D

luben said:
ah, i like the idea and how this quote sounds. :D
BTW, is it possible to get someone to be curious on something which is boring? ... it would be very good if i have a theory to control the amount of curiosity in my mind and the "direction" of this curiosity :D

Sensitization/desensitization can change boredom levels with respect to a particular stimulus.

When cats get bored, they go looking for amusement. Ours invent games such as unplugging USB & LAN cables...

( At least this Browser_PC's XP doesn't mind hot-plugging USB devices: My old '98 CAD-Tower_PC needed rebooting... ;- )

Both biological and evolutionary reasons are there for existence of boredom. When the level of certain activities, be it physical or mental, goes below certain point, you feel bored. It happens when neural activity in certain circuits is less intense. Boredom occurs when those specific parts of the brain are "idle". Of course, this is very simplified.

The reason for boredom is that it calls for action. It makes you experience pleasant feelings when you go from boredom to action. This helps kittens to develop their motor skills, hunting abilities, mental abilities etc. In an adult cat it helps the cat to maintain its fitness, motor skills, alertness and a huge variety of other benefits that the cat gets when it plays.

The same thing is for people too. A person who doesn't get bored (when idle) may just lie there for as long as he thinks there is nothing to do. Such a person would be in a disadvantage compared to a person who would start working on something, or maybe just run in circles, learn a new skill or acquire knowledge.

For this reason boredom is very important for evolutionary reasons too. In the case of hostile environment, scarce food resources, changing seasons and unexpected weather hazards the level and kind of boredom, for example mental boredom, physical boredom, plays a huge role in surviving.

luben said:
Dictionary says the definition of bored is something like "uninterested because of frequent exposure or indulgence".

This dictionary definition highlights that this is about an optimisation between familiarity and novelty. So you are having fun when the world is offering learning experiences, but not overloading you with new stuff. And you get bored when stuff is over-learned and lacks challenge.

So in terms of psychological theory, you have the old arousal curve literature - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerkes–Dodson_law

Or in today's neuroscience, you could frame this within the Bayesian brain approach to neural architecture - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_brain

So between the boredom of too much familiarity and the stress of too much novelty, you have the happy balance of feeling engaged. The level of challenge is optimal.

apeiron said:
This dictionary definition highlights that this is about an optimisation between familiarity and novelty. So you are having fun when the world is offering learning experiences, but not overloading you with new stuff. And you get bored when stuff is over-learned and lacks challenge.

I would say that boredom is more multidimensional matter that just learning. It plays a vital role in many developmental and survival challenges an animal faces.

Surely being bored is a problem that only fully conscious animals have. i.e only humans. Humans still haven't been able to explain and therefore satisfy their need to know the reason for their existence on this planet. Boredom came into play when we became conscious species.

1. What is the scientific explanation for the "bore feeling"?

The "bore feeling" is a sensation of restlessness or disinterest that is commonly experienced in situations where an individual is lacking mental or physical stimulation. It occurs due to a decrease in dopamine levels in the brain, which is a neurotransmitter responsible for motivation and pleasure. When the brain is not receiving enough stimulation, it releases less dopamine, resulting in the "bore feeling."

2. Is the "bore feeling" a normal human experience?

Yes, the "bore feeling" is a normal human experience and is a common occurrence in everyday life. It is a natural response to situations that lack stimulation or novelty. However, if the feeling persists for an extended period of time and interferes with daily activities, it may be a sign of a larger issue and should be addressed with a healthcare professional.

3. Can the "bore feeling" be beneficial in any way?

Yes, the "bore feeling" can be beneficial as it can motivate individuals to seek out new experiences and engage in activities that provide stimulation. It can also be a signal that it is time for a change in routine or to try something new.

4. Are certain individuals more prone to experiencing the "bore feeling"?

There is no evidence to suggest that certain individuals are more prone to experiencing the "bore feeling." It is a common experience that can be influenced by various factors, such as the environment, personal interests, and stress levels.

5. Can the "bore feeling" be managed or prevented?

Yes, the "bore feeling" can be managed and prevented by engaging in activities that provide mental and physical stimulation. This can include trying new hobbies, exercising, socializing, or learning something new. It is also important to maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle to prevent feelings of boredom and restlessness.