Consider the time-dependent Schrodiner equation

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary: This is correct, though the derivation is a little more involved. If V(x) = 0, then which implies that u(x) = kei(√(2mE)/h)xHang on a moment! I'm not sure if this is correct, but I figured out that we'll only have a ψ(x,t)≠0 if √(2mE)/h = (2n+1)/2 for some integer n≥0. Is that correct?That is correct.
Jamin2112
"Consider the time-dependent Schrodiner equation ..."

Homework Statement

Consider the time-dependent Schrodinger equation

ih2ψt = [-h2/(2m)]ψxx + V(x)ψ​

which is the underlying equation of quantum mechanics. Here V(x) is a given potential, h is the Planck's constant, and m is the mass of the particle. ψ(x,t) is the amplitude of the wave that the particle traces out. i=√(-1) is the imaginary unit.

(a) Use the separation of variable ψ(x,t)=u(x)exp(-iEt/h) to derive the time-independent Schrodiner equation which governs u(x). Show that the resulting equation is a Sturm-Louiville eigenvalue problem with

p(x) = h2/(2m), q(x) = V(x), r(x) = 1, λ=E.​

The eigenvalue E represents the energy of the particle.

(b) Solve the Sturm-Louiville eigenvalue problem in the domain -1 < x < 1 with zero potential and homogenous Dirichlet boundary conditions. Sketch the ground state (the lowest non-zero energy state). What is the energy?

(c) Without further calculation, explain what would happen to the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues if the domain is cut in half, i.e. 0 < x < 1, with new boundary conditions u(0)=u(1)=0.

Homework Equations

A Sturm-Louville eigenvalue problem has the form

-p(x)u''(x)-p'(x)u'(x)+q(x)=λr(x)u(x)​

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a) is trivial. For part (b), doesn't "zero potential" mean V(x)=0, in which case I seem to get a trivial solution?

Physics news on Phys.org

The Schrodinger's Equation with [itex]V(x,t) = 0[/itex] is the free particle situation. The solution is not trivial, though, but very easy to determine.

Pengwuino said:
The Schrodinger's Equation with [itex]V(x,t) = 0[/itex] is the free particle situation. The solution is not trivial, though, but very easy to determine.

How is that not trivial?

Well, what does the Schrodinger Equation look like with [itex]V(x,t) = 0[/itex] and the time dependence accounted for by the [itex]e^{{{-i\hbar E}\over{t}}}[/itex]?

Pengwuino said:
Well, what does the Schrodinger Equation look like with [itex]V(x,t) = 0[/itex] and the time dependence accounted for by the [itex]e^{{{-i\hbar E}\over{t}}}[/itex]?

-h2/(2m) * u''(x) = E * u(x).

If V(x) = 0, then which implies that u(x) = kei(√(2mE)/h)x

Hang on a moment! I'm not sure if this is correct, but I figured out that we'll only have a ψ(x,t)≠0 if √(2mE)/h = (2n+1)/2 for some integer n≥0. Is that correct?

1. What is the time-dependent Schrodinger equation?

The time-dependent Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes over time. It is a partial differential equation that takes into account the wave-like behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. Why is the time-dependent Schrodinger equation important?

The time-dependent Schrodinger equation is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of quantum systems over time. It is the foundation of quantum mechanics and has been used to make accurate predictions about the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

3. What are the components of the time-dependent Schrodinger equation?

The time-dependent Schrodinger equation consists of two main components: the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system, and the wave function, which describes the quantum state of the system. These components are combined in a differential equation that describes how the wave function changes over time.

4. How is the time-dependent Schrodinger equation solved?

The time-dependent Schrodinger equation is typically solved using numerical methods, such as the finite difference method or the finite element method. These methods involve breaking down the equation into smaller parts and solving them iteratively to find a solution that approximates the behavior of the system over time.

5. What are some applications of the time-dependent Schrodinger equation?

The time-dependent Schrodinger equation has many applications in various fields, including quantum mechanics, chemistry, and materials science. It is used to study the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems, and has been instrumental in the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).