Long wire problem: Deriving an expression from the Bessel Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a vertically clamped wire under its own weight and how to determine the maximum length for vertical equilibrium. It is shown that this length can be calculated using the first zero of a Bessel function, with parameters such as radius, linear density, acceleration of gravity, and Young modulus playing a role. The conversation also mentions using a calculator or a mathematical handbook to find the zeros of the Bessel function with good accuracy.
fuzzeleven
A straight wire clamped vertically at its lower end stands vertically if it is short, but bends under its own weight if it is long. It can be shown that the greatest length for vertical equilibrium is l, where kl(3/2) is the first zero of J-1/3 and k=4/3r2*√(ρg/∏Y) where r is the radius, ρ is the linear density, g is the acceleration of gravity, and Y is the Young modulus. Find l for a steel wire of radius 1 mm; for a lead wire of the same radius.

What I've done so far is plug -1/3 in for p to simplify the Bessel function, and then set that equal to zero. What I really am interested in is how to derive the expression with the Bessel function, but I really don't know where to start. Any suggestions on how to tackle this? Much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to a calculator I found on-line, the first zero of J-1/3 = 1.866350858873895. So
1.866350858873895 = kl3/2
You know the other parameters so just solve for l.

PS - I can't vouch for the calculator. It's at http://cose.math.bas.bg/webMathematica/webComputing/BesselZeros.jsp

I suppose in a way that's cheating but that's what you'd do in real life - use all available data. I don't know of an equation that would yield the zeros explicitly.

I don't understand what you tried to do, why you did it, and what is p?

Last edited by a moderator:
For the zeroes, you might try the Handbook of Mathematical Functions by Abramowitz and Stegun. The have polynomial respresentations for Bessel functions that are good to 8 or 9 significant figures over designated ranges. You can find the zeroes of the polynomials by Newton's method or other root finding methodology. I cannot look in the book because I no longer have access to a copy but have used their polynomials to represent products of Bessel functions (orthogonality considerations) with good accuracy.

1. What is the Long Wire problem?

The Long Wire problem refers to the challenge of determining the magnetic field produced by an infinitely long, straight wire carrying an electric current. This is a common problem encountered in electromagnetism and has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

2. What is the Bessel Function?

The Bessel Function is a special mathematical function that is used to describe the behavior of waves and oscillations in various physical systems. It is particularly useful in solving the Long Wire problem as it can accurately describe the magnetic field produced by an infinitely long wire.

3. How is the Bessel Function used to solve the Long Wire problem?

The Bessel Function is used to derive an expression for the magnetic field produced by an infinitely long, straight wire. This expression takes into account the distance from the wire, the current flowing through the wire, and the properties of the medium surrounding the wire. By using this expression, scientists and engineers can accurately predict the behavior of the magnetic field in different situations.

4. What are the applications of solving the Long Wire problem?

The Long Wire problem has many practical applications in fields such as antenna design, electromagnetic shielding, and geophysics. By understanding the magnetic field produced by an infinitely long wire, engineers and scientists can design more efficient and effective systems for various purposes.

5. Are there any other methods for solving the Long Wire problem besides using the Bessel Function?

While the Bessel Function is the most commonly used method for solving the Long Wire problem, there are other approaches such as using the Ampere's Law or the magnetic vector potential. However, the Bessel Function is often preferred due to its simplicity and accuracy in solving this particular problem.