Energy cost during neodymium magnet production?

In summary: I'm sure there are calculators out there to do that.Thanks for asking!In summary, neodymium magnets are expensive, but the amount of energy needed to create them is relatively low.
wild20
Pretty straight forward. Whats the amount of energy needed to create a neodymium magnet? What's the cost ratio? These magnets are expensive, but is the amount of energy needed to create them very high (2Kw)? Or is it still pretty reasonable? Does anyone have a link with accurate estimations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
People asking questions like that are usually thinking of a magnet as having some sort of energy store that can get used up over time in various clever devices. Is that what you are thinking of?

Anyway - neodynium magnets are expensive because they are made out of a rare earth. It's rare. If you made a magnet out of diamonds you'd expect it to be expensive too right?

To make these magnets, you don't start out with a block of Nd2Fe14B and then magnetize it - what you do is get a whole load of grains of the stuff, align them, and then smelt them into a block. Or something like that. Rotating all those little grains can't be all that hard ... but I imagine the actual field strengths used in production will be protected information.

The furnace will be the largest energy cost.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet#Production

Don't know what you mean by "cost ratio" ... ratio of what?

Hi Simon,

Actually, the reason I am asking is because I know that magnets can, over time, lose their magnetic properties. I am building a device which will utilize magnets for energy generation. I'm curious what the energy expenditure is for neodymium magnets in production to calculate whether the device is more energy efficient than other energy creation methods.

For instance, coal provides a net positive energy source because the mining operations used to acquire coal take a fraction of the energy the coal itself can provide. On the flip side, oxyhydrogen generation is a net negative energy source because the energy required for electrolysis exceeds the energy ultimately released by oxyhydrogen (HHO) combustion.

I am building a device which will utilize magnets for energy generation.
That's what I figured.

You can pretty much figure the energy cost is factored into the price - recalling that actual production details are likely to be classed as trade secrets, you are unlikely to be able to know how much energy goes into a particular brand of magnet. What you really need to know is how long they last.

Generally the energy cost to make a magnet, even these exotic ones, would be in the small side of your examples. Particularly compared with their strength - it's part of what makes them so attractive.

To compare yours with other generators, you really just need the efficiency.

I can provide some information on the energy cost during neodymium magnet production. The amount of energy needed to create a neodymium magnet can vary depending on the specific manufacturing process and the size of the magnet being produced. However, on average, it is estimated that producing one kilogram of neodymium magnet requires about 2,000 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of energy.

In terms of cost ratio, the energy cost is just one factor in the overall production cost of neodymium magnets. Other factors such as raw material costs, labor costs, and equipment costs also contribute to the final price of the magnets. Therefore, it is difficult to give a specific cost ratio for energy alone.

Neodymium magnets are known to be expensive, but the amount of energy needed to create them is relatively high compared to other manufacturing processes. However, it is still considered a reasonable amount of energy when looking at the overall production process.

I recommend checking with specific manufacturers for accurate estimations of energy costs for neodymium magnet production. Additionally, there are some research papers and articles available online that discuss the energy consumption and efficiency of neodymium magnet production. These sources may provide more detailed and accurate information.

What is the energy cost of neodymium magnet production?

The energy cost of neodymium magnet production varies depending on several factors such as the type of production process used, the size and strength of the magnet, and the location of the production facility. However, on average, it takes approximately 15-20 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of energy to produce 1 kilogram of neodymium magnets.

What is the main source of energy used in neodymium magnet production?

The main source of energy used in neodymium magnet production is electricity. This is because the production process involves several energy-intensive steps such as mining and refining of raw materials, melting and casting of alloys, and shaping and coating of the magnets. Renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind, are also being increasingly used in neodymium magnet production to reduce the environmental impact.

How does the energy cost of neodymium magnet production impact the environment?

The energy cost of neodymium magnet production has a significant impact on the environment. The production process requires large amounts of electricity, which often comes from non-renewable sources such as coal and natural gas, leading to the emission of greenhouse gases and contributing to climate change. Additionally, the mining and refining of raw materials used in neodymium magnet production can also have negative environmental impacts, such as air and water pollution.

Are there any efforts being made to reduce the energy cost of neodymium magnet production?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts to reduce the energy cost of neodymium magnet production. One approach is to improve the efficiency of the production process, such as using more energy-efficient equipment and optimizing the production steps. Another approach is to develop alternative production methods that use less energy or utilize renewable energy sources. Additionally, recycling and reusing neodymium magnets can also help reduce the overall energy cost of production.

How can consumers reduce their energy consumption when using neodymium magnets?

Consumers can reduce their energy consumption when using neodymium magnets by choosing energy-efficient products that use these magnets. For example, they can opt for energy-efficient motors and generators that use neodymium magnets instead of traditional ones. Additionally, properly maintaining and disposing of products that contain neodymium magnets can also help reduce the overall energy cost of production.