Inverse Trigonometric Equation problem

Cosθ = \sqrt{1- x^2}In summary, the problem asks to simplify cos(arcsin x) by letting arcsin x = θ and using the Pythagorean theorem to find cos(θ) which simplifies to √(1-x^2).
acen_gr
EDIT: 1.Homework Statement
The problem asks to simplify this: cos(arcsin x)

Homework Equations

let arc sin x = θ

The Attempt at a Solution

Hoping for some explanation. I really don't have any idea. Thank you so much in advance!

EDIT: I have to edit because I received a warning for not posting for #3 and #2. I originally posted "cos(arcsin x)" for #2 because that was what I know that is relevant to the problem. And I apologize for I didn't know it wasn't enough (I'm new here and sorry if I didn't understand the rules well, I thought it was okay to remove the format instructions and just put what is being asked instead. Quoted above is my previous post #3. As I said there, I really don't have any idea and therefore asks for some (can't put any attempt) When I got the hint from the mentors, I was able to work on this:

The problem asks to simplify this: cos(arcsin x)

Let arcsin x = θ

if arcsin x = θ, then x = sinθ

get the cos of θ from given x/1 and should get for cosθ = √1-x2 (by pythagorean theorem)

the answer is cos(θ) = √1-x2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]\theta = \arcsin(x)[/itex] so then [itex]x=\sin(\theta)[/itex]. This expression is just simple trig where you first learn that the sine of an angle is OPP/HYP in a right triangle right? So do just that. Create the right-triangle with an angle of [itex]\theta[/itex] such that [itex]\sin(\theta)=x[/itex] (which is equivalent to x/1).

Mentallic said:
Let [itex]\theta = \arcsin(x)[/itex] so then [itex]x=\sin(\theta)[/itex]. This expression is just simple trig where you first learn that the sine of an angle is OPP/HYP in a right triangle right? So do just that. Create the right-triangle with an angle of [itex]\theta[/itex] such that [itex]\sin(\theta)=x[/itex] (which is equivalent to x/1).

So what should be my final answer? Is it Cos θ? Sorry if I ask too many. :(

EDIT: Ok sir. Nevermind this. I already got the answer. Thank you so much! :)

Last edited:
Good! I am glad you were able to get the answer- I hope you were able to work it out for yourself from the hint acen gr gave you.

For others who might wonder: Yes, "the answer is [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex]" but that is not the end of it. As acen gr suggested, "Create the right-triangle with an angle of θ such that sin(θ)=x (which is equivalent to x/1)." Then we have a right triangle with "opposite side" of length x and "hypotenuse" of length 1. By the Pythagorean theorem, the "near side" has length [itex]\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex]. Since cosine is "near side over hypotenuse", [itex]cos(\theta)= cos(cos^{-1}(x))= \frac{(\sqrt{1- x^2}}{1}= \sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex]

You could also do it this way: for any angle [itex]\theta[/itex], [itex]sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex] so that [itex]cos(\theta)= \pm\sqrt{1- sin^2(\theta)}[/itex]. That is, [itex]cos(sin^{-1}(x))= \pm\sqrt{1- sin^2(sin^{-1}(x))}= \pm\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex]. Because the standard domain of [itex]sin^{-1}[/itex] is [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex], the sign is the same as the sign of x.

(The sign did not come up in the previous paragraph because being able to draw a triangle with side "x" assumes x is positive.)

HallsofIvy, I think you're getting a little mixed up with who is helping who :tongue:

HallsofIvy said:
Good! I am glad you were able to get the answer- I hope you were able to work it out for yourself from the hint acen gr gave you.

For others who might wonder: Yes, "the answer is [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex]" but that is not the end of it. As acen gr suggested, "Create the right-triangle with an angle of θ such that sin(θ)=x (which is equivalent to x/1)." Then we have a right triangle with "opposite side" of length x and "hypotenuse" of length 1. By the Pythagorean theorem, the "near side" has length [itex]\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex]. Since cosine is "near side over hypotenuse", [itex]cos(\theta)= cos(cos^{-1}(x))= \frac{(\sqrt{1- x^2}}{1}= \sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex]

You could also do it this way: for any angle [itex]\theta[/itex], [itex]sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex] so that [itex]cos(\theta)= \pm\sqrt{1- sin^2(\theta)}[/itex]. That is, [itex]cos(sin^{-1}(x))= \pm\sqrt{1- sin^2(sin^{-1}(x))}= \pm\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex]. Because the standard domain of [itex]sin^{-1}[/itex] is [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex], the sign is the same as the sign of x.

(The sign did not come up in the previous paragraph because being able to draw a triangle with side "x" assumes x is positive.)

Sir, so the final answer should be Cosθ = [itex]\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex]? Am I right?

EDIT: Anyway sir, I am the one who was helped by Mentallic :)
EDIT: How do I make square root symbol here?

Mentallic said:
HallsofIvy, I think you're getting a little mixed up with who is helping who :tongue:
One of these days, I really need to learn to read!

acen_gr said:
Sir, so the final answer should be Cosθ = [itex]\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex]? Am I right?
Assuming that x is positive, yes. Otherwise [itex]cos(sin(\theta))= \pm\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex].

EDIT: Anyway sir, I am the one who was helped by Mentallic :)
EDIT: How do I make square root symbol here?
There is a LaTeX tutorial at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3977517&posted=1#post3977517.

For just a single square root symbol, if you click on the "Go Advanced", you will see a table of "Quick Symbols" and there is a "√" there- notice that you had better use ( ) with that!

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Assuming that x is positive, yes. Otherwise [itex]cos(sin(\theta))= \pm\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex].

Wee! Thanks mentor! :) I love this site!

acen_gr said:
Yes that's correct.

acen_gr said:
How do I make square root symbol here?
You already have! Using tex tags as you've done.

HallsofIvy said:
One of these days, I really need to learn to read!
Create a homework thread and I'm sure some of us would be delighted to help you :wink:

HallsofIvy said:
Just to clarify, we're talking about [tex]\cos(\sin^{-1}\theta)[/tex] and not [tex]\cos(\sin\theta)[/tex]

Also, the range of [itex]\sin^{-1}\theta[/itex] is [itex][-\pi/2, \pi/2][/itex] and thus the range of [itex]\cos(\sin^{-1}\theta)[/itex] is [itex][0,1][/itex] so the answer is only [itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]

Mentallic said:
Just to clarify, we're talking about [tex]\cos(\sin^{-1}\theta)[/tex] and not [tex]\cos(\sin\theta)[/tex]

Also, the range of [itex]\sin^{-1}\theta[/itex] is [itex][-\pi/2, \pi/2][/itex] and thus the range of [itex]\cos(\sin^{-1}\theta)[/itex] is [itex][0,1][/itex] so the answer is only [itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]

Oh I see. No wonder why the actual question here in my notes asks for an exact answer;) Thanks Metallic! :D

1. What is an inverse trigonometric equation?

An inverse trigonometric equation is an equation that involves finding the value of an angle in a right triangle based on the known values of its sides. It is the opposite of a regular trigonometric equation, which involves finding the values of sides or angles using known trigonometric ratios.

2. How do I solve an inverse trigonometric equation?

To solve an inverse trigonometric equation, you need to use inverse trigonometric functions such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent. These functions can be found on your calculator or in a trigonometric table. You will also need to know the appropriate formula based on the given information in the equation.

3. Can I solve an inverse trigonometric equation without a calculator?

Yes, you can solve an inverse trigonometric equation without a calculator by using a trigonometric table. However, this method may take longer and is not as accurate as using a calculator. It is recommended to use a calculator for more complex inverse trigonometric equations.

4. What are the common mistakes when solving inverse trigonometric equations?

Some common mistakes when solving inverse trigonometric equations include using the wrong formula, not converting between degrees and radians, and not paying attention to the quadrant of the angle. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. How are inverse trigonometric equations used in real life?

Inverse trigonometric equations are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They can be used to find the height of a building, the distance between two objects, or the angle of elevation or depression. They are also used in the development of computer graphics, robotics, and satellite technology.