Science Supplies: Quality Retailers for Optics, Magnets & Chemicals

• Thread starter Zach_C
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation is about finding a retailer for quality science supplies, specifically lenses, an optics bench, magnets, and various chemicals. The person is currently located in Tulsa but will be moving to Boulder for college in August. Some recommended retailers for lenses and mirrors include Meridian Telescopes, D & G Optical, and Orion Telescopes. For chemicals, options include Fisher Scientific, VWR International, and Alfa Aesar. As for magnets, it depends on the specific type needed, but Dowling is suggested for small permanent magnet discs or blocks.
Zach_C
Does anyone know a good retailer for quality science supplies. I am needing to by some lenses and an optics bench in the near future. I am also interested in a place that sells magnets and various chemicals. Just curious. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zach, where are you located ? Will you be purchasing these things by yourself or through a school/college/university/company ?

I am in Tulsa right now. In august I will be moving to Boulder for college. I was looking for an online site to atleast get lenses. I can understand the chemicals not being easy.

I'm not sure what kind of lenses you want but I've bought lenses and mirrors for telescopes in the past. Meridian Telescopes, D & G Optical and Orion Telescopes are a few names that come to mind. You can buy (permitted) chemicals from Fisher Scientific, VWR International or Alfa Aesar (among dozens of others). As for magnets, where to look depends entirely on what kinds of magnets you want. You can get small permanent magnet discs or blocks from places like Dowling (they usually have pretty good sales on overstock items).

1. What types of optics are available for purchase?

There are a variety of optics available for purchase, including lenses, mirrors, prisms, and filters. These can be used for experiments and demonstrations involving light, such as refraction and reflection.

2. Are there different sizes of magnets offered?

Yes, there are different sizes of magnets available for purchase. These range from small, individual magnets to larger, industrial-strength magnets. The size and strength of the magnets will depend on your specific needs and experiments.

3. Can I purchase chemicals for scientific experiments?

Yes, you can purchase chemicals for scientific experiments. It is important to note that some chemicals may require special handling and precautions, so it is essential to follow all safety guidelines when using them.

4. Are there options for custom orders or bulk purchases?

Many science supply retailers offer options for custom orders or bulk purchases. This can be beneficial for schools or research institutions that require a large quantity of supplies for their experiments. Contact the retailer for more information on their custom and bulk order policies.

5. Are the science supplies sold by these retailers of high quality?

Yes, these retailers take pride in providing high-quality science supplies for their customers. They source their products from reputable manufacturers and ensure that they meet safety standards and regulations. Many retailers also offer warranties or guarantees for their products.