Interpretation of Kubrick's 2001

In summary, the conversation centered around the film and book series, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and its themes of evolution and consciousness. The group discussed the symbolism and plot points, with some disagreement on the interpretation of Hal's motives and the significance of the "star child" at the end of the film. The consensus was that reading the books helped to better understand the complex themes and symbolism presented in the films.
polyb
Being a Kubrick fan, I just had to pass this along knowing that someone here would appreciate this. Enjoy! :biggrin:

(flash required)

http://www.kubrick2001.com/2001.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, that was good polyb.

The monolith was planted by ETs as stated, but I think they got the part about Hal's motives wrong. According to Clarke in his book 2010, Hal was given conflicting instructions which caused the deception and attack on the Crew. When the crew became a threat to the mission by threatening to shut him down, since only he knew certain aspects of the mission, only he could complete the mission, so Hal opts to save the mission as instructed, and turns on the crew. In 2010 Hal redeems himself and is allowed to evolve for his sacrifice. I wasn't sure about the die poor ape man part either. Dave's consciousness now existed at all points in time which is why he kept changing while he waited in the white room. The birth of the starchild is right on as I understand it. So, a few objections but certainly a fun watch. :biggrin:

Edit: crud, I'm still forgetting something. Hal didn't make a mistake. The antenna failure was a ploy.

Last edited:
One of the greatest misteries of the series, in my humble opinion, is how Frank Poole is recovered alive in 3001 Space Odyssey, after a thousand years drifting in space! I was completely ignorant of the fact that space-wandering had such healthy effects!

Yea, I enjoyed it and the movies too. Can someone here explain to me what the "birth of the star child" means?

Thanks,
Salty

At the end of 2001, Dave's consciousness is transferred into the fabric of space itself and freed from material bonds. He is thus charged with supervising the next evolutionary step of the human race initiated by his encounter with the monolith near Jupiter, as well as the evolution of the coming Europan biota. After being freed from matter, he is referred to as the "star child." He is the first human to undergo this process, a process that had already been undertaken by the ETs that left the monolith 4 million years ago.

loseyourname said:
At the end of 2001, Dave's consciousness is transferred into the fabric of space itself and freed from material bonds. He is thus charged with supervising the next evolutionary step of the human race initiated by his encounter with the monolith near Jupiter, as well as the evolution of the coming Europan biota. After being freed from matter, he is referred to as the "star child." He is the first human to undergo this process, a process that had already been undertaken by the ETs that left the monolith 4 million years ago.

Fantastic! You are so kind to explain this to me.
Salty

Not bad (but Ivan's and loseyourname's explanations were better). The strange thing is how he misunderstood Hal's motives - to me, that was about the clearest thing in the movie! Though, that may be because I saw 2010 first...

It's a lot clearer if you read the books. The films have a lot of very dense symbolism and imagery and are tough to comprehend on their own.

1. What is the meaning behind the monolith in "2001: A Space Odyssey"?

The monolith in "2001: A Space Odyssey" is a symbol of evolution and the advancement of human consciousness. It represents an external force that helps push humanity towards its next stage of development, from primitive apes to modern humans to the "star child" in the final act of the film.

2. What is the significance of the "stargate" sequence in the film?

The "stargate" sequence in "2001: A Space Odyssey" is a visual representation of humanity's journey through space and time. It is a metaphor for the evolution of human consciousness, as the protagonist, Dave Bowman, goes through a series of surreal and mind-bending experiences, culminating in his rebirth as the "star child".

3. What is the meaning of the ending of "2001: A Space Odyssey"?

The ending of "2001: A Space Odyssey" is open to interpretation, but it is commonly seen as a representation of humanity's transcendence to a higher state of being. The "star child" represents the next stage of human evolution, and the final shot of it overlooking Earth suggests that humanity has surpassed its physical limitations and become part of a higher cosmic consciousness.

4. How did Stanley Kubrick incorporate themes of existentialism in the film?

Stanley Kubrick explores themes of existentialism in "2001: A Space Odyssey" through the character of HAL 9000, the sentient computer on the spaceship Discovery. HAL represents the struggle between man and machine, as well as the questioning of the purpose of existence. The film also presents the idea that humanity's search for meaning and purpose may ultimately lead to a confrontation with an unknown, higher power.

5. Was "2001: A Space Odyssey" based on any specific source material?

While "2001: A Space Odyssey" was based on a short story by Arthur C. Clarke, the film is largely considered to be an original work by Stanley Kubrick. The two collaborated closely during the making of the film, with Clarke writing the novel version of the story at the same time the film was being produced. However, the film and novel have some notable differences, and Kubrick's vision for the film was largely his own.