Need high-temp rubber coating

In summary, the conversation is about finding a high-temperature coating for aluminum rods to increase their friction coefficient. The original poster is looking for suggestions and someone suggests using a nickel layer. Other suggestions include using a high-temperature silicone or a Belzona coating, although it may be expensive.
refind
Need high-temp "rubber" coating

Hey I'm looking to coat some 0.5" aluminum rods with some sort of coating to increase the friction coefficient ("tackiness" I believe it's called). It will be used in high temperature environments of up to 200C. Does anyone know of such product?

I tried calling this company but that product can't get anywhere near 200C.
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

A high-temperature silicone?

It's just that silicone won't adhere to aluminium. Maybe things get less bad if you anodise first.

My suggestion is a nickel layer. These have a high coefficient of friction, and better, they don't gall.

You already know that aluminium alloys are capable of nearly nothing at 200°, do you?

could try a belzona coating depending on what your doing

http://www.belzona.com/products.aspx

They are usually painted on smooth, but I can imagine you can't make it rougher when you apply it. Also expensive but good for temps up to 180°C

1. What is high-temp rubber coating?

High-temp rubber coating is a specialized type of coating that can withstand high temperatures without degrading or losing its properties. It is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and electronics to protect surfaces from heat and other environmental factors.

2. What are the benefits of using high-temp rubber coating?

High-temp rubber coating offers a variety of benefits, including excellent heat resistance, durability, and chemical resistance. It also provides insulation and can protect against corrosion and abrasion. Additionally, it is flexible and can conform to different shapes and surfaces, making it a versatile choice for various applications.

3. How is high-temp rubber coating applied?

High-temp rubber coating can be applied using various methods, including spray, dip, or brush. The surface to be coated must be clean and free of any contaminants to ensure proper adhesion. The coating is then cured at high temperatures, typically through an oven or heat lamp, to achieve its desired properties.

4. What are some common uses for high-temp rubber coating?

High-temp rubber coating has a wide range of applications, including coating engine components in the automotive industry, protecting electronic devices from heat and moisture, and providing insulation for wires and cables. It is also used in industrial equipment, cooking appliances, and other high-temperature environments.

5. Is high-temp rubber coating environmentally friendly?

High-temp rubber coating is considered to be an environmentally friendly option compared to other coatings, as it does not contain harmful chemicals such as volatile organic compounds (VOCs). It is also highly durable, which means it does not need to be reapplied often, reducing waste. However, it is always important to follow proper disposal guidelines for any type of coating.