How is a wankel engine lubricated?

• Thread starter chhitiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine
In summary, the conversation discusses lubricating methods for closed off engines, specifically the RX8 and wankle engine. The person mentions using 5w20 oil and a pressurized oil system for the wankle engine. They also mention the option of a wet or dry sump system, depending on the type of racing. They clarify that they have not seen any two cycle wankle engines.
chhitiz
i was admiring its animation like when this popped into my head.
any answers?
also anybody know any latest developments in lubricating closed off engines?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe when I had an RX8 it used 5w20

yeah, but that's just the type of lube
what is the actual method?
is it just mixed with the charge like a two stroke?
is there no other way, like having a wet/dry sump system?

i worked on a wankle engine in the 1970s...about like any other raace engine..has pressureized oil system but the trick is to seal up the little rotating triangle ' piston"

check out http://www.racingbeat.com/mazda/performance/rotary-tech-tips/engine-seals.html?id=3cZ9XYDV

as far as wet sump dry sump...it depends on what type racing..if drag racing...wet sump is cheaper lighter ..if oval or road racing...you better have dry sump oil system..

i know of no two cycle wankel engines..not to say there are not any but I have not seen any..

Ranger Mike said:
i know of no two cycle wankel engines..not to say there are not any but I have not seen any..
i do not understand what u mean by that.
how does the pressurized system work? is the oil introduced at top and collected thru bottom while keeping the "major axis" of the epitrochoid vertical?

1. How does a Wankel engine stay lubricated?

The Wankel engine uses a system of oil injection to lubricate the various moving parts. This involves injecting oil into the intake ports, which then gets mixed with the air and fuel mixture and distributed throughout the engine.

2. Why is lubrication important in a Wankel engine?

Lubrication is crucial in a Wankel engine because it helps reduce friction and wear on the moving parts. Without proper lubrication, the engine could overheat and suffer from excessive wear and tear, leading to decreased performance and potential damage.

3. What type of oil should be used in a Wankel engine?

It is recommended to use a high-quality, synthetic oil with a viscosity grade of 5W-30 or 10W-30 in a Wankel engine. This type of oil is designed to withstand high temperatures and provide optimal lubrication for the engine's unique design.

4. How often should the oil be changed in a Wankel engine?

The oil in a Wankel engine should be changed every 5,000 to 7,500 miles, or according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Regular oil changes help ensure that the engine stays properly lubricated and can extend its lifespan.

5. Can I use additives in the oil to improve lubrication in a Wankel engine?

No, it is not recommended to use additives in the oil for a Wankel engine. The engine is designed to run on a specific type of oil, and additives can potentially disrupt the lubrication process and cause damage to the engine.