What happens when you have equal force on opposing sides of a 2:1 gear train?

In summary, the device will accelerate when the forces are equal at first, but when the ambient pressure increases, the volume of the piston chamber increases, so piston 2 will be pushed all the way to the gear train and the system will maintain the same volume.
TaylorTexas
I have studied how gear trains work for a project I am working on, but can't find an analogous situation where the forces in the gear train oppose each other. Can someone help me?

I have a 2:1 gear ratio on a dual rack and pinion gear train connected to opposing pistons, and there is equal force on both pistons (force = 2). In order to help me understand what will happen, can you tell me in what direction will each piston move and how far?

Force -->|piston1|----------(1:2 gear train)----------|piston2|<-- Force

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the forces are equal at first, the system will accelerate. What happens then requires more information. How are the forces applied? How big are the gears? How big are the crankshafts?

The device is in an environment with ambient pressure, so the forces are equal on both pistons. The top of the pistons are exposed to the environment and there is a single sealed chamber connecting the pistons and containing the gear train. The opposing pistons are connected to shafts (pinions) attached to a 2:1 gear train. Both gears are on the same axis (like a minute hand and an hour hand but in opposite directions). One piston pinion is connected to the 1 gear, and the other piston pinion is connected to the 2 gear. No crankshaft.

Normally, when the ambient pressure increase, the volume of the piston chamber would decrease. I would like to use a gear system so that when the ambient pressure increases, the volume of the piston chamber increases as well.

However, I think piston 2 will be pushed all the way to the gear train keeping the same volume in the piston chamber. Am I right? Is there any way to accomplish my goal of increasing the volume?

Last edited:
Last edited:

1. What is a 2:1 gear train?

A 2:1 gear train is a type of mechanical system in which two gears of different sizes are connected and rotate in opposite directions. The larger gear, known as the driving gear, has twice as many teeth as the smaller gear, known as the driven gear. This results in a gear ratio of 2:1, meaning that for every two rotations of the driving gear, the driven gear completes one rotation.

2. What happens when equal force is applied to both sides of a 2:1 gear train?

When equal force is applied to both sides of a 2:1 gear train, the driving gear will rotate at a constant speed and the driven gear will rotate at half the speed of the driving gear. This is due to the gear ratio of 2:1, which means that the driven gear must rotate at half the speed in order to maintain the same force as the driving gear.

3. Will the force on the driving gear affect the force on the driven gear in a 2:1 gear train?

No, the force on the driving gear will not affect the force on the driven gear in a 2:1 gear train. The gear ratio of 2:1 ensures that the force is distributed equally between the two gears, regardless of the initial force applied to the driving gear.

4. How does the size of the gears affect the force in a 2:1 gear train?

The size of the gears does not directly affect the force in a 2:1 gear train. However, the gear ratio does play a role in determining the force. In a 2:1 gear train, the smaller gear will have a higher torque, or rotational force, than the larger gear due to its smaller size. However, the total force applied to both gears will remain equal.

5. Can a 2:1 gear train be used to increase force?

No, a 2:1 gear train is not designed to increase force. The gear ratio of 2:1 means that the force will be distributed equally between the two gears. In order to increase force, a gear train with a gear ratio greater than 2:1 would need to be used.