Finding a max load from the yield stress

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum load a bar can take given its dimensions and yield stress. The individual has calculated the bending moment to be 3.75 at 250mm and uses the equation stress = m y / I to solve for the maximum load. However, it is noted that the bar is simply supported at either end, which may affect the solution. Further clarification or assistance is requested in solving the problem.
Lap9387
1. Homework Statement I have a bar, 500mm long (0.05m) 10mm wide (0.01m) and 3mm deep (0.003 m)The bat has a load applied in the centre of 30nI know the maximum yield stress is 150 mpa 150x10^6How do I calculate the maximum load the bar can take?2. Homework Equations I used stress = m y / I3. The Attempt at a Solution I calculated the bending moment to be 3.75 at 250mm (.25m) using a shear bending diagram,*I then reversed the equation above to get:150x10^6 = 0.0015m/2.25x10^-11Which gives m as : (150x10^6 x 2.25x10^-11) / 0.0015M = 2.25I know the bending moment is at .25 mSo divide 2.25 / .25I get 9The answer can't be 9n as the question uses 30nCan someone please show me how to solve this?.Thanks in advance x*

Engineering news on Phys.org
You missed the most important point. How is the bar supported?

Sorry, the bar is simply supported at either end

What is the yield stress?

The yield stress is the point at which a material begins to permanently deform under stress. It is a measure of the material's strength and is typically determined through tensile testing.

Why is finding the max load important?

Finding the max load is important because it helps determine the maximum amount of stress a material can withstand before it fails. This information is crucial in designing safe and efficient structures and products.

How is the max load calculated from the yield stress?

The max load is typically calculated by multiplying the yield stress by the cross-sectional area of the material. This gives the maximum amount of force that can be applied to the material before it reaches its yield point.

What factors can affect the max load of a material?

The max load of a material can be affected by a variety of factors, including the material's composition, temperature, and processing conditions. Other factors such as surface defects, loading rate, and environmental conditions can also impact the max load.

Why is it important to consider safety factors when determining the max load?

Safety factors are important to consider when determining the max load because they account for uncertainties in the material's behavior and potential errors in calculations. This helps ensure that the material is not loaded beyond its maximum capacity and helps prevent failure and potential hazards.