Physics behind climb cutting and conventional cutting

In summary, milling is a common machining process that involves removing material from a workpiece using a rotating cutter. There are two types of milling techniques: conventional cutting and climb cutting. While conventional cutting involves the cutter sliding across the surface of the workpiece, climb cutting involves the cutter pulling itself into the workpiece. This results in a better surface finish, but also requires more load and torque. The exact physics behind this is still not fully understood and there is not a clear explanation on the Wikipedia page. However, one possible explanation is that the chip created during climb cutting acts as a mechanical leverage, allowing for the force to be distributed over more of the cutter's surface.
hihiip201
Hi guys:

For basic info: wikipedia: mill cutting : conventional cutting and climb cutting, there's a graph showing how a mill cutting cuts.

Yesterday in the shop my instructor taught me that climb cutting gives better surface finish than conventional cutting, yet it requires more load(torque). But I have yet to understand the physics behind it.

Wikipedia page's explanation is not that satisfying either, there's nothing that it says about climb cutting I cannot say the same about convention cutting. On the page it says that in conventional cutting is slides across the surface of the part hence dulling the tool, but if I understand this correctly when you are cutting, the tip of your tool is always sliding across the new surface you are creating as you are cutting, so I don't see how climb cutting is better than conventional to be honest.

What am I not seeing?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only reason I can possibly come up with , is that the chip in climb cutting acts as an mechanical leverage that allows the force to be distributed on more surface of the cutter.

1. What is the difference between climb cutting and conventional cutting?

Climb cutting and conventional cutting are two different methods used in machining. In climb cutting, the cutting tool moves in the same direction as the workpiece feed, while in conventional cutting, the tool moves against the direction of the feed. This results in different cutting forces and surface finishes.

2. Why is climb cutting preferred over conventional cutting in some applications?

Climb cutting is often preferred in applications where the workpiece material is prone to chipping or tearing, as it produces a smoother surface finish. It also requires less cutting force, which can improve tool life and reduce the risk of workpiece deformation.

3. What is the physics behind the cutting forces in climb cutting and conventional cutting?

In conventional cutting, the tool first encounters the material, then cuts through it, resulting in a larger cutting force. In climb cutting, the tool is already cutting through the material, and the cutting force is reduced. This is due to the material being compressed rather than stretched, which requires less force.

4. How does chip formation differ between climb cutting and conventional cutting?

In conventional cutting, the chip is formed on the front side of the cutting tool, which can lead to poor surface finish and potential workpiece damage. In climb cutting, the chip is formed on the back side of the tool, resulting in a smoother surface finish and reduced risk of damage.

5. Can climb cutting and conventional cutting be used interchangeably?

No, climb cutting and conventional cutting are not interchangeable. The choice between the two methods depends on the material being machined, the desired surface finish, and the cutting tool being used. It is important to select the appropriate cutting method to ensure the best results and prevent damage to the workpiece or cutting tool.