Am I too old to pursue a physics degree/ UF vs Florida Tech?

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a degree in either physics or electrical engineering and is facing a decision due to a recent opportunity. They are concerned about potential age discrimination in the physics field and are considering universities such as University of Florida and Florida Institute of Technology. They are also questioning the importance of a degree in comparison to work experience and social life.
BrianH321
I have been going back and forth between pursuing a degree in physics or ee. A recent opportunity is making me decide a year sooner than I had planned. I will be 35 yr old when I finish my B.S. and plan to pursue a M.S. in whichever I decide. Will I be considered too old by employers in the physics field? The courses aren't a concern but I don't want a degree in a field that I couldn't find employment in. Also, University of Florida or Florida Institute of Technology? I live very close to FIT and they claim to have really good research opportunities. I've also heard good things about UF. I've also critics of the schools. Anyone have any current knowledge regarding which has the better program? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
People can always make up *appropriate* reasons to not offer you a job. They do have selective criteria to employ someone into some position (i.e if they discriminate ages, they never publicly say their candidates are too old). The only thing you might find it hard is to fit yourself in a crowd of whose ages are 10-15 years younger than you while they are offered the same or even higher salary and the same tasks as you are. Some people may claim it is Ok, fine whatever as long as they can get the money. But time they spend working with them, there will be unspoken/indescribable psychological issues in such an environment. If you are worried, then I think you can work and study at the same time. Someone tells me that our lifespan is expected to reach more than 60 but everyone I meet agrees that 30 is the peak we stand to start climbing downhill. It is not important where you are qualified your degree anymore, I guess it is your work and above all (I personally prefer) social life experience that helps you stand out from the crowd.

1. Am I too old to pursue a physics degree?

No, age should not be a barrier to pursuing a physics degree. Many people go back to school later in life and successfully complete their degree in physics. Your passion and dedication to learning are more important than your age.

2. How long does it take to complete a physics degree?

The duration of a physics degree can vary depending on the program and your course load. On average, it takes 4 years to complete a bachelor's degree in physics. However, if you are returning to school or taking a part-time course load, it may take longer.

3. What are the career opportunities with a physics degree?

A degree in physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, education, and technology. Graduates can work in industries such as aerospace, healthcare, energy, and more.

4. What is the difference between studying physics at the University of Florida (UF) and Florida Tech?

Both UF and Florida Tech have reputable physics programs. The main difference between the two may be the size of the university and the location. UF is a larger university with a wider range of academic programs, while Florida Tech is known for its smaller class sizes and hands-on learning opportunities.

5. What skills do I need to succeed in a physics degree?

To succeed in a physics degree, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid foundation in mathematics. You should also have a passion for science and a desire to understand the fundamental principles of the physical world. Good time management and study habits are also essential for success in a physics degree program.