Are these courses worth it?

• Thread starter jean28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, a computer engineering student who worked as a research assistant in a robotics lab over the summer has developed an interest in Control Systems, a class not typically taken by computer engineers. Upon speaking with a professor, they were advised to take the class along with power system analysis and power electronics. These courses could be beneficial for a computer engineer and may make them more desirable to companies. The student is wondering if the extra effort for these courses is worth it and if there is a way to apply this knowledge to a computer-focused career. Other individuals in the conversation have also expressed the value of understanding control theory and power systems. In conclusion, taking these classes may open up opportunities in industries such as smart grid technology and provide a deeper understanding of how
jean28
Hey guys,

I'm an undergrad in computer engineering. This past summer I worked as a research assistant in the robotics GRASP Lab at the University of Pennsylvania. This experience with robots has driven an interest in me in Control Systems (a class that computer engineers don't usually take).

I wanted to know more about the class and whether or not I should take it, so I went to talk to one of my professors who teaches control systems and he told me that not only should I take that class, but that if I decide to take power system analysis and power electronics (alongside the tough computer engineering classes I am already taking), then that the companies would be crazy for a student with all the knowledge I would have.

Is it useful for a computer engineer to learn about control systems engineering, power system analysis. and power electronics? If I decide to take these classes, I would graduate with the following list of relevant courses:

Computer Engineering-specific courses:
Data Structures
Software Engineering
Microprocessor Interfacing
Database Systems
Digital System Design
Routing, Switching, and Wide Area Networks (Cisco CCNP certification).

Extra Electrical engineering-specific courses:
Control Systems Engineering
Circuits III (power system analysis)
Power electronics.

Would you guys say a little bit of extra effort for those last three courses is worth it? Is there a way for computer engineers to apply that knowledge to a more low voltage computer focus?

Thank you all very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you really like making machinery go, and go the way you want it to ... then yes.

I switched from general computer work (databases, systems utilities, etc) to engineering work midway through my career. I then did real-time data acquisition systems, and then control systems for a long time. I enjoyed it a lot.

There is nothing quite like seeing a 100 ton press come down and stop within 0.0001" of the target!

Feedback Control Systems was probably the single most fascinating class I had. Also the most difficult, for me.
It stems from some math oddities first noticed by Descartes a few hundred years ago that were shelved until WW2 when the Germans revived and advanced them for their rocketry. Hence the term "Rocket Science" . The German textbooks were among the war prizes brought back to US at end of the war.

If the "Smart Grid" really happens , somebody who understands 3 phase, control theory and computers will be really well positioned for a meaningful career.

Also an intuitive feel for the mechanics of feedback will change your perspective on how much in nature works.
"Mother Nature just loves a balance."

I wish i'd got a course in power system analysis.

Good luck !

old jim

Likes 1 person
I can't vouch for the power system analysis and power electronics classes, but control theory is something that is very good to take. Control systems are ubiquitous. Rockets, automobiles, chemical plants, electrical power plants, and machinery of all kinds use control theory to keep the device in question behaving correctly.

I would say that these courses are definitely worth it for a computer engineering student. Control systems, power system analysis, and power electronics are all important and relevant topics in the field of computer engineering. These courses will not only expand your knowledge and skill set, but they will also make you a more well-rounded and marketable candidate for future job opportunities.

Furthermore, as technology continues to advance and become more interconnected, having a background in these areas will be beneficial for a computer engineer. Control systems are used in a variety of applications, from robotics to industrial automation, and having a thorough understanding of them will give you a competitive edge in the job market. Additionally, power systems and electronics are essential components in many computer systems, so having a strong understanding of these topics will be valuable in your career.

While it may require some extra effort to take these additional courses, the potential benefits and opportunities they can provide make it worth it. Plus, as you mentioned, you can also find ways to apply this knowledge to a more low voltage computer focus, making it even more relevant to your field of study.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend taking these courses as they will not only enhance your education and skills, but also make you a more competitive and well-rounded computer engineer. Good luck with your studies!

1. Are these courses worth the money?

The value of a course depends on various factors such as the quality of the content, the reputation of the institution or instructor, and the relevance of the material to your goals. It is important to research and evaluate these factors before investing your money in a course.

2. Will taking these courses improve my skills?

Taking courses can certainly improve your skills, but it ultimately depends on your dedication and effort in learning and applying the material. Make sure to choose courses that align with your goals and interests to get the most out of them.

3. How do I know if these courses are credible?

To determine the credibility of a course, you can look for reviews and feedback from previous students, check the qualifications and experience of the instructor, and research the institution offering the course. Additionally, you can also look for any certifications or accreditations the course may have.

4. Are online courses as effective as in-person courses?

Online courses can be just as effective as in-person courses if they are well-structured and facilitate active learning. However, it may require more self-discipline and motivation to stay on track with online courses. In-person courses may offer more opportunities for hands-on learning and interaction with instructors and peers.

5. Will these courses help me in my career?

Courses can certainly help you in your career by providing you with new skills and knowledge that can make you more marketable and competitive in the job market. However, it is important to choose courses that are relevant to your field and align with your career goals.