CV for physics PhD - what to include?

In summary: I have included my education, research experience, computer skills, and extra-curricular activities. I am not sure if there is anything else that I need to include.In summary, Jason has a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science from XYZ University and has research experience working on a project related to artificial intelligence. He also has volunteered with a charity that helps children with cancer and has taught classes in computer science.
Trave11er
Hi, currently I have the following sections: Personal info, education, research experience, computer skills, extra-curricular activities.
Is there anything I am missing? Also, in the education section should I include breakdown on marks in different subjects, or my class each year (UK equivalent of GPA) or simply overall class?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the job offer does not require more details, overall grades are probably fine (well, I know that for Germany, but I don't expect big differences in other European countries). If one class is really relevant for the PhD-topic and your grades there are significantly better than the average, it might be interesting to highlight that (but expect the follow-up question where your grades were worse).
Is there anything I am missing?
Depends on the things you included in those sections.
Did you get some relevant prizes?
Is there a publication where you contributed in some way?

It all depends on what you're goal is with the CV.

If you're using it to get a job, you tailor it for the specific job. (Yes that means that you should create an independent CV/resume for each job you apply to.)

For acadmia, I try to keep a "master" CV which has just about everything on it. Then I can whittle it down and format it for whatever specific thing I need it for.

In addition to what you've mentioned I would include:
- a publications list (seperated into peer-reviewed, conference abstracts, and non-reviewed work)
- major awards list
- presentations
- teaching experience (courses taught, lab TA experience, etc.)
- in some cases, a major projects section may be relevant
- volunteer experience
- committees that you've served on

I don't think it's usually relevant to include course marks unless you have the goal of specifically highlighting an exceptional grade in a course that's relevant to what you're using the CV for.

I agree with Choppy. I am in industry, and a CV or resume that is clearly tailored for companies like ours is nice to see - at the very least it means the person cared enough to learn about us. Don't forget volunteer work, if you have some.

What not to put on there (I have seen all of these):
- High school awards. Seriously.
- DIY projects at home, unless they are highly relevant (eg you are a licensed amateur radio operator and are applying to somewhat related jobs, etc.).
- The address of your blog or personal website if it isn't professional. I never google someone or look on social media to find their dirt,but if they list a web address on CV / resume I will check it out - it can be less than flattering.

jason

Thanks for the replies so far. The title is misleading for I meant to ask what to include in CV if you are applying for a PhD position (after finishing your undergraduate education).

1. What should be the overall structure of a CV for a physics PhD?

The overall structure of a CV for a physics PhD should include the following sections: personal information, education, research experience, publications, presentations, honors and awards, teaching experience, professional memberships, and references. It is important to keep the CV concise and well-organized, with the most relevant and recent information listed first.

2. Should I include all of my research experience or only the most recent ones?

You should include all of your research experience, but prioritize the most recent and relevant ones. This will give a clear and updated picture of your research skills and interests to the selection committee.

3. How important is it to list publications and presentations on a CV for a physics PhD?

Listings of publications and presentations are crucial for a CV for a physics PhD, as they demonstrate your research productivity and communication skills. Be sure to include the full citation of each publication and presentation, and highlight any that are particularly relevant to the PhD program or field of study you are applying for.

4. Should I include any non-academic experience on my CV for a physics PhD?

While the focus of a CV for a physics PhD should be on your academic and research experience, it is also beneficial to include any relevant non-academic experience, such as internships, volunteer work, or industry experience. This can showcase additional skills and experiences that may be valuable for the PhD program or future research opportunities.

5. How should I format my CV for a physics PhD?

Your CV should be well-organized, clear, and easy to read. Use a professional and consistent font, and include headings and subheadings to clearly separate different sections. Be sure to proofread for any spelling or grammatical errors, and keep the formatting consistent throughout the document.