MRI question: Production of EM Waves using magnets

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of generating electromagnetic waves by accelerating a permanent magnet and the different interpretations of the detection process in MRI scans. It is confirmed that EM waves can be produced by accelerating a magnet, but it is generally inefficient. The discussion also clarifies the difference between near-field and far-field effects in MRI and the different ways of interpreting the detection process. It is concluded that near-field effects are more relevant in MRI and that one must be cautious not to solely rely on far-field intuition.
Alexander83
Hi all,
I've got a quick clarification question. Generally when the production of electromagnetic waves are discussed, it's done in the context of an accelerating electric charge. Is it possible to generate EM waves by instead accelerating something like a permanent magnet? I.e. if I wiggle a permanent magnet back and forth, are EM waves produced? I'm pretty sure that the answer is yes, but I see this case discussed so infrequently that I'm doubting myself.

The motivation for this question comes from reading into the Physics of MRI scans, which involve generating a net magnetization vector (from alignment of nuclear magnetic moments) within a patient which is made to rotate. The scanner ultimately picks up the signal from this rotating magnetization vector. I've seen detection process described as reading a voltage signal induced in pickup coils due to the changing magnetic field from the magnetization vector as per Faraday's law. Alternatively, some references describe the rotating magnetization vector as giving off radio-frequency EM waves which are picked up by the coils.

My feeling is that these are both two aspects of the same phenomenon: there is an alternating voltage induced in the coils as they interact with the magnetic field component of the EM waves produced by the rotating magnetization vector within a patient. This lead me to think about simple experiments involving oscillating a magnet near a coil of wire and observing the current that results in the coil. This is usually described as an example of EM induction in textbooks, but I think it too would be an example of EM wave production. Is this correct?

Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible to generate EM waves by instead accelerating something like a permanent magnet? I.e. if I wiggle a permanent magnet back and forth, are EM waves produced?
Yes. It is a very ineffective way, however, and you cannot reach relevant frequencies.
My feeling is that these are both two aspects of the same phenomenon
Right.
This lead me to think about simple experiments involving oscillating a magnet near a coil of wire and observing the current that results in the coil.
This is not an effect of radiation. It is a near-field effect, and you don't see the contribution from radiation at all.

Likes 1 person
Alexander83 said:
Is it possible to generate EM waves by instead accelerating something like a permanent magnet? I.e. if I wiggle a permanent magnet back and forth, are EM waves produced? I'm pretty sure that the answer is yes, but I see this case discussed so infrequently that I'm doubting myself.
You are correct, no need for self-doubt here!

Alexander83 said:
The motivation for this question comes from reading into the Physics of MRI scans, which involve generating a net magnetization vector (from alignment of nuclear magnetic moments) within a patient which is made to rotate. The scanner ultimately picks up the signal from this rotating magnetization vector. I've seen detection process described as reading a voltage signal induced in pickup coils due to the changing magnetic field from the magnetization vector as per Faraday's law. Alternatively, some references describe the rotating magnetization vector as giving off radio-frequency EM waves which are picked up by the coils.
Both are valid interpretations, but I prefer to use the former interpretation. The reason is that MRI, at the common clinical frequencies, is generally done in the near field, which is why the coils are designed as loops rather than dipoles.

What most people think of as EM waves are in the far field. Those are the ones that radiate off to infinity and where the E and B are orthogonal to each other and to the direction of propagation. While some energy is radiated off to the far field in MRI, that is not what is generally detected. However, there has been some recent work on far field MRI (or at least farther-than-usual-field): http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v457/n7232/full/nature07752.html

Alexander83 said:
My feeling is that these are both two aspects of the same phenomenon: there is an alternating voltage induced in the coils as they interact with the magnetic field component of the EM waves produced by the rotating magnetization vector within a patient. This lead me to think about simple experiments involving oscillating a magnet near a coil of wire and observing the current that results in the coil. This is usually described as an example of EM induction in textbooks, but I think it too would be an example of EM wave production. Is this correct?
Yes, you cannot avoid the EM wave production. But again, you have to be careful not to overuse far-field intuition when you are dealing with the near-field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

1. How does an MRI machine produce electromagnetic waves?

An MRI machine uses powerful magnets to produce electromagnetic waves. These magnets create a strong magnetic field that aligns the protons in the body's cells. When a radiofrequency pulse is applied, the protons flip and release energy in the form of electromagnetic waves.

2. What type of magnets are used in an MRI machine?

Most MRI machines use superconducting magnets, which are made of coils of wire that are cooled to extremely low temperatures. These magnets are able to produce a strong and stable magnetic field needed for an MRI scan.

3. How are the magnets in an MRI machine powered?

The superconducting magnets in an MRI machine require a constant flow of electricity to maintain the magnetic field. This electricity is supplied through a power supply unit that is connected to the machine.

4. Can the magnets in an MRI machine be dangerous?

Yes, the magnets in an MRI machine can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not followed. The strong magnetic field can attract metal objects and cause them to become projectiles. It is important to remove all metal objects before entering the MRI room.

5. How do the magnets in an MRI machine affect the human body?

The magnetic field produced by an MRI machine is not harmful to the human body. However, the radiofrequency pulses used to produce the electromagnetic waves can cause heating in the body's tissues. This is why patients are asked to remove any metal objects and are monitored during the scan.