Solving a Lever System: Lever Arm and Load Lengths

In summary, the conversation discusses a lever system being used to lift a 3lb load, with the load also acting as a lever. The individual is unsure of how to calculate the force needed and where the load should be attached on the lever. It is clarified that the center of mass of the load should be taken into account when determining the force needed and the placement on the lever.
Cloud9TN
Forgive me if this is in the wrong category.

I have a product I am working out - I am a programmer and electronic engineer by trade, which didn't include a lot of work with physics principles.

I have a lever system which seems simple - but the trick is, my load is acting as a lever too. See the attached picture.

In the bottom left is my load. It is 3 lbs. I want to attach it to the end of the lever in the bottom right. My assumption has been that I would find the center mass of my load to determine how much longer my lever arm becomes with the load attached.

At the top of the picture, I sketch my 'assumed' equivalent system. I am right?

If so, is it correct that I need 46x the force on the left side of the lever to raise my 3lbs => 138lbs

Thanks in advance for the brainpower!

Attachments

• example1.jpg
    example1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to clarify my description a little:

The load is 3lbs - the load center mass is at 32"
The unloaded lever system has a 1" arm and 14" arm on each side of the fulcrum.
The load gets attached to the end of the 14" arm (extending it)

I assume 14" (arm) + 32" (center mass) = 46" with 3lb load is the result.

jedi,

that doesn't help because my issue is understanding how the length of my load affects the equivalent system.

I suppose the ultimate question is - do I take the center of mass of my load to determine where on the lever system it is applied?

Last edited:
Yes, I think you take the center of mass of your load and its distance from the axis of the arm.

What is a lever system?

A lever system is a simple machine that consists of a rigid bar or beam, called a lever, which pivots on a fulcrum to lift or move a load.

What is the lever arm in a lever system?

The lever arm is the distance between the fulcrum and the point where the force is applied on the lever. It determines the mechanical advantage of the lever system.

How do I calculate the lever arm in a lever system?

To calculate the lever arm, you need to measure the distance from the fulcrum to the point where the force is applied on the lever. This distance is then multiplied by the force applied to the lever.

What is the load length in a lever system?

The load length is the distance between the fulcrum and the point where the load is located on the lever. It affects the amount of force needed to lift or move the load.

How do I find the ideal load length for a lever system?

To find the ideal load length, you need to consider the weight of the load and the desired mechanical advantage. The load length should be adjusted to achieve the desired mechanical advantage and make the lever system more efficient.