Death brings out the irrational in us

In summary, the conversation discusses the belief in an afterlife and the role it plays in coping with the death of a loved one. The speakers share their experiences and views on atheism and how it relates to the concept of an afterlife. They also mention the different beliefs in different religions, such as Hinduism, regarding the afterlife. The conversation ends with a suggestion that embracing non-existence as a form of freedom may be a more positive attitude towards death than seeking a continuation of life through an afterlife.
Mattius_
When someone we love dies, we tend to believe in some sort of after life, or utopia that the person transfers to. At the least, we just don't want to think about it, and assume that there is an afterlife, without any reasoning whatsoever.

Has anyone here ever survived the death of a loved one and stuck to their principles of athiesm completely and 100%?

Physics news on Phys.org
Has anyone here ever survived the death of a loved one and stuck to their principles of athiesm completely and 100%?

Everytime it happens. I've only gone off course slightly once in the entire time I've been an athiest, and it was for an entire 3 days.

Absolutely 100%. I never have any doubts whatsoever. I don't have a closed mind, but the evidence for a God is zero. This doesn't mean that I am against belief per se, but a belief is just that, not a theory that can be proved or disproved.

Yes.

Indeed, some religions espouse the idea of not having an afterlife to be the ultimate reward of life. Hinduism comes to mind. In many such eastern faiths, non-existence is associated with freedom, and release.

IMHO, that is a more positive attitude towards death, than to buy it off with a continuation into more life.

What is meant by "death brings out the irrational in us"?

This phrase refers to the idea that when we are faced with death, whether it be our own or the death of a loved one, our emotions and thoughts can become heightened and irrational. We may act or think in ways that we normally wouldn't in other situations.

Why does death bring out the irrational in us?

Death is a universal and inevitable part of life. It is often associated with fear, grief, and uncertainty, which can trigger our primal instincts and cause us to act irrationally. Our emotions can overpower our logical thinking, leading to impulsive or extreme behaviors.

How does the irrationality caused by death manifest in individuals?

This can vary from person to person, but some common manifestations of irrationality include denial, anger, guilt, and fixation on the deceased. Some individuals may also make impulsive decisions or engage in risky behaviors as a way to cope with their emotions.

Can rational thinking still occur in the face of death?

Yes, it is possible for individuals to still think rationally even when faced with death. However, it may require more effort and self-awareness to control our emotions and make logical decisions. Seeking support from others, such as friends, family, or therapists, can also help in maintaining rational thinking during difficult times.

Is it normal to experience irrationality when faced with death?

Yes, it is completely normal and natural to experience irrational thoughts and behaviors when faced with death. It is a normal part of the grieving process and should not be judged or dismissed. It is important to acknowledge and address these irrationalities in a healthy and constructive way.