Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting

In summary, Physicsforums.com has introduced the addition of LaTeX mathematical typesetting to their forum software. This professional-grade typesetting system allows for pleasing mathematical presentation and can be included in any post on the forum. Users can include LaTeX graphics by using the [ tex ]...[ /tex ] or [ itex ]...[ /itex ] tags, with the latter being used for inline graphics. The forum provides a pdf file and symbol reference for the most useful LaTeX commands, symbols, and constructs. The amsmath package is also available for more information. Examples of various techniques are provided, including subscripts, superscripts, and equations. Users can also use the [ tex usepackage= ] tag to include additional packages.
tell me what I should have done to make the line spacing and font size more consistent.

Believe it or not, the font size is consistent.

If you want better spacing, maybe you could put all of the equations in a single tex tag. Check the first page for an example.

Physics news on Phys.org
Edwin,

Since you seem to be addicted to nesting pieces of TeX inside other pieces of TeX, I will advise you that you can use whitespace inside the [ tex ] tags to make your code easier to write (and read). In other words, code like this is fine (click the image to see the code):

[tex]\frac{
\frac{3}{4}
}{
\frac{1}{2}
}[/tex]

- Warren

Thanks Warren! That was a helpful bit of information :)

Best Regards,

Edwin

If you're still working on your TeX identifier for the newsgroups, here's a good one to tweak it on:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=24389

let me have a try!
[tex]a=b^3[/tex]

We'll give it a try (doesn't look to promising in preview mode) But it almost works once posted.

[tex]\ddot\lambda + \omega^2_E \left(\frac{R_E}{a}\right)^2[/tex]

Now, that's what we're looking for. Takes a little time to get the feel for the order and size, etc.

Last edited:
Bob:

It should work just fine in preview mode. Some browsers may cache images, and you may have to force them not to.

- Warren

Hi, I have a question concerning the following Latex/(Tex?) commands:
I tried to make a listing with the following command structure (within the environment delimited by the tex-brackets):
\begin{enumerate}
\item ...
\item ...
\end{enumerate}
This has for me always produced a numbered list for each \item included,
but when I tried it on PF, the numbers failed to appear, and the items did not appear on separate lines
(A similar result was with "itemize" rather than "enumerate", which usually have produced dots rather than numbers in front of the items included)

So, what's the listing commands I should use here?

Last edited:
[tex]\ddot\lambda + \omega^2_E \left(\frac{R_E}{a}\right)^2[/tex]

Copy and paste works fine

I would like to make a question:
I know of Latex when using Linux system of my school, but there isnot Latex for Windows, right ? If I would like to practise learning Latex but in Windows, that is impossible right ?

Please help me, please forgive my newie question because I am actually a newie...Please...
:)
Thanks in advance

Look into a package called MikTeX for windows.

- Warren

chroot said:
Look into a package called MikTeX for windows.

- Warren
Thanks Warren a lot...

lol...
Regards

With MikTeX installed, look at a Windows gui called TeXnic Center, which may indeed have MikTeX along with it. The link on tug.org was broken when I looked last, but I have been extrememly happy with it. I have also used WinEdit.

Testing:

[tex]
\mathcal{L}\{y\}=Y
[/tex]
[tex]
\mathcal{L}\{y'\}=sY-y(0)
[/tex]
[tex]
\mathcal{L}\{y''\}=s^2Y-sy(0) -y'(0)
[/tex]

Last edited:
Just testing

[tex]\int f(x)dx , x^2+y^2+z^2=1 [/tex]

Last edited:
Te sientas entre la gente
Cierras tu ojos
Y suenas que soy tuyo
Pero yo no siquiera se que estas ahi
Me gustaria tenerte entre mis brazos amor​

Oh it can be centered...:sm:

Testing

[tex]\tau/=E/m[/tex]

How can I do a VECTOR?

Hi,

I need a BIG VECTOR. Something like that

------->
<a,b,c,d>

How can I do this? I tried \vec but does not fires. Tnx for any help

undersun said:
Hi,

I need a BIG VECTOR. Something like that

------->
<a,b,c,d>

How can I do this? I tried \vec but does not fires. Tnx for any help

Use \overrightarrow{ ... vector goes here ... }

[tex]\omega=\sqrt\frac{GM}{r^3}[/tex]

[tex]x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

[tex]f(x)=f(0)+f'(0)x+\frac{f''(0)x^2}{2!}+\frac{f'''(o)x^3}{3!}[/tex]

[tex]\int{u\frac{dv}{dx}}=uv-\int{\frac{du}{dx}v}[/tex]

[tex]\int{\frac{2x+1}{x^2-x-6}}=\int{\frac{A}{x+2}+\frac{B}{x-3}}=\frac{1}{2}A\ln{(x+2)} - \frac{1}{3}B\ln{(x-3)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\lambda y\Rightarrow\frac{dx}{dy}=\frac{1}{\lambda y}\Rightarrow x=\frac{1}{\lambda}\int{\frac{1}{y}dy}\Rightarrow x=\frac{1}{\lambda}\ln{(y)}+C[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\lambda x-C=\ln{y}\Rightarrow e^{\lambda x}\times e^{-C}=y\Rightarrow y=Ae^{\lambda x}[/tex]

[tex]y=\sin^{-1}\frac{1}{6}x\Rightarrow \sin y=\frac{1}{6}x\Rightarrow 6\sin y=x\Rightarrow \frac{dx}{dy}=6\cos y[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{6 \cos y}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow = \frac{1}{6 \sqrt{1-\sin^{2}y}}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow = \frac{1}{6\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{36}x^2}}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow = \frac{1}{ \sqrt { 36 - x^2 }}[/tex]

[tex]\int{x^3 \sqrt{3x^{4}-2} dx}[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]\overrightarrow{(S,U,N,N,I,E)}[/tex]

picture example

[tex]
\begin{picture}(100,100)(0,0)
\put(0,0){\circle{3}}
\put(0,0){\line(1,0){100}}
\put(0,0){\line(0,1){100}}
\put(100,100){\circle{3}}
\put(50,10){\circle{3}}
\put(55,15){{\bf test} label}
\end{picture}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{picture}(200,200)(0,0)
\multiput(0,0)(50,0){5}{\line(0,1){200}}\multiput(0,0)(0,50){5}{\line(1,0){200}}
\end{picture}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{picture}(200,200)(0,0)
\multiput(0,0)(40,10){5}{\line(1,4){40}}\multiput(0,0)(10,40){5}{\line(4,1){160}}
\end{picture}
[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]\left[x^2 -5x -6\right]_{0}^{1}[/tex]

---------

Last edited:
I have not read the whole thread ( I apologize) and I am totally new to Latex.
Typing the latex and memorizing the language sounds like a lot of work. I wonder if there is any shareware or freeware program with which I can write the equations by drag and drop and have the program write the latex for me.
I'll appreciate your help.
--Alex--

It's not really a whole lot of work. Start small and learn as you go. There are really only a handful of structures you need to know in order to get started. Learn by example: you can click on any equation posted in any thread and see what the person typed to create that image.

alexepascual said:
I have not read the whole thread ( I apologize) and I am totally new to Latex.
Typing the latex and memorizing the language sounds like a lot of work. I wonder if there is any shareware or freeware program with which I can write the equations by drag and drop and have the program write the latex for me.
I'll appreciate your help.
--Alex--
Another option I think may be the Equation Object included in WinWord which can also be somewhat similar help for you...(smiling)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for your information,
MathType sounds interesting. But as it costs $119, I downloaded TeXaid (form the same company). I'll explore the other products when I have the time.
I am a little confused by the statement on some of these products that they are not a LaTex system. It appears that you need two pieces of software that will work in conjucntion but I still don't understand what each one does.
I think TexAid should allow me to produce LaTex code to paste into the forum.
When I register for classes in fall, I'll buy Mathematica at academic price.
Thanks again,
--Alex--

Before buying Mathematica, ask in your University about it. Many universities have campus-wide licenses that allow students to use Mathematica from the University's network, and it is often the case that such benefits are not "common knowledge" among students.

Greek letters

garamond ( greek)undefinedundefined

This is just a trial Ραυ , αβψδεφγηιξκλμνοπ;ρστθωςχυζ

Ραυξοην01

Thanks for your information ahrkron.

[text]
\int_{2}^{3} \frac{\arctan}{\sqrt{a^2 + x^2}}dx
[/text]

Last edited:
why the hell won't it work?