R = cos(theta) in polar coordinates?

In summary: In any case, we must have r> 0. In this case, since the original equation was r= cos(\theta), we must have 0\le r\le 1.In summary, in the conversation, the equation r = cos(theta) in polar coordinates was discussed. The graph of this equation was interpreted as a circle with a diameter from (0,0) to (0,1) and a center at (1/2, 0) with a radius of 1/2. It was mentioned that the mistake made in the manual graphing was having negative values for r, which is not possible in polar coordinates. The conversation also mentioned the equation r = |cos(theta)|, which creates
merry
r = cos(theta) in polar coordinates??

Hullo everyone!

Hows it going?
I am confused with how to interpret the graph of r = cos(theta) in polar coordinates.
I tried graphing it manually. and this is how I interpreted it:

r(0) = cos(0) = 1
r(pi/2) = 0
r(-pi) = -1
r(3pi/2) = 0
r(2pi) = 1

This gives me three points in a line @.@ with one on the negative x axis, one on the origin, and one on the positive x axis. But apparently, its supposed to be a circle; how so?
Could someone please explain where I am going wrong?
Thanks v. much!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hullo merry! :smile:

it's going fine, thanks for asking! :biggrin:

yes, it is a circle, with diameter from (0,0) to (0,1) …

a little bit of geometry will enable you to confirm that :wink:

your mistake was that you can't have negative values of r! :redface:

If you multiply both sides of [itex]r= cos(\theta)[/itex] by r you get
[itex]r^2= rcos(\theta)[/itex] which is the same as [itex]x^2+ y^2= x[/itex] or
[tex]x^2- x+ 1/4+ y^2= 1/4[/tex]
[tex](x- 1/2)^2+ y^2= 1/4[/tex]
a circle with center at (1/2, 0) and radius 1/2 so it is tangent to the y-axis.

While you can have r negative in the equation, that is interpreted in polar coordinates as the radius going the other way. With [itex]\theta= \pi[/itex], [itex]r= -1[/itex] which gives the point (1, 0) on the positive x-axis. Note that [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] goes from 0 to 0 as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] and again as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from [itex]\pi[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

As [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], the point goes around the circle twice.

HallsofIvy likes coordinate equations, and I like geometry! :biggrin:

HallsofIvy said:
While you can have r negative in the equation, that is interpreted in polar coordinates as the radius going the other way. With [itex]\theta= \pi[/itex], [itex]r= -1[/itex] which gives the point (1, 0) on the positive x-axis. Note that [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] goes from 0 to 0 as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] and again as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from [itex]\pi[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

As [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], the point goes around the circle twice.

I totally disagree.

"r", in this case is measured from the origin, theta the angle the radial vector makes with the positiv x-axis.

Thus, we have the bounds:
[tex]0\leq{r}\leq{1},-\frac{\pi}{2}\leq\theta\leq\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

If we instead have the equation,
[tex]r=|\cos\theta|, 0\leq\theta\leq{2\pi}[/tex]
then this is a double circle, joining at the origin.

Thanks guys! It makes more sense now =D
Sorry for not replying! I didnt think my question would get noticed, so I gave up!

I don't quite understand what this means tho:

HallsofIvy said:
Note that [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] goes from 0 to 0 as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] and again as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from [itex]\pi[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

HallsofIvy, doesn't [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] go from 1 to -1 as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]?

I am confused with arildno's statement as well @.@

hi merry! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
merry said:
HallsofIvy, doesn't [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] go from 1 to -1 as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]?

(have a theta: θ and a pi: π :wink:)

not quite … θ goes from -π/2 to π/2 as r goes from 0 to 1 and back to 0 (as arildno said);

between π/2 and -π/2, r doesn't exist (because r can't be negative)
I am confused with arildno's statement as well @.@

arildno is saying that r = cosθ is one circle

but r = |cosθ| is two circles, touching at the origin :smile:

Notice the absolute value in arildno's "[itex]r= |cos\theta|[/itex]". If \(\displaystyle -\pi/2\le \theta\le \pi/2\) then [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] is positive so [itex]r= cos(\theta)[/itex]. That is the circle with center at (1, 0) and radius 1. If [itex]\pi/2\le \theta\le 3\pi/2[/itex] then [itex]|cos(\theta)|[/itex] is still positive so we have the circle with center at (-1, 0) and radius 1. The area tangent at (0, 0).

I said earlier that r< 0 is interpreted as 'the opposite direction'. Arildno disagrees with that but I consider it a matter of one convention rather than another.

1. What is the meaning of "R = cos(theta) in polar coordinates?"

In polar coordinates, R represents the distance from the origin to a point on a graph, and theta represents the angle between the positive x-axis and the line connecting the origin to the point. Therefore, the equation R = cos(theta) represents a relationship between the distance and angle of a point in polar coordinates.

2. How is R = cos(theta) related to the Cartesian coordinate system?

R = cos(theta) is a conversion formula that can be used to convert Cartesian coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (R, theta). The value of R represents the distance from the origin and the value of theta represents the angle from the positive x-axis.

3. What is the range of values for R in the equation R = cos(theta)?

The range of values for R in the equation R = cos(theta) is from 0 to 1. This is because the cosine function has a range of -1 to 1, and since R represents the distance from the origin, it cannot be negative. Therefore, the maximum value of R is 1, which occurs when theta is 0 or 2pi, and the minimum value is 0, which occurs when theta is pi/2 or 3pi/2.

4. How can R = cos(theta) be used to graph polar coordinates?

The equation R = cos(theta) can be used to graph polar coordinates by plotting points with their respective R and theta values on a polar coordinate plane. The R value determines the distance from the origin, and the theta value determines the angle from the positive x-axis. By plotting multiple points, a curve can be formed, which represents the graph of the equation.

5. Can R = cos(theta) be used to convert polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, R = cos(theta) can be rearranged to solve for x and y, which are the Cartesian coordinates. The equations for converting from polar to Cartesian coordinates are x = R * cos(theta) and y = R * sin(theta). These equations can be derived from the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric identities.