Ways to Arrange the Letters In COMBINATORICS

In summary, there are 8!/2!*6!*C(9,2)*C(7,2)*C(5,1) arrangements of the letters in COMBINATORICS that have no consecutive vowels. In part (b), there is only one vowel ordering that satisfies this condition, so the number of arrangements is 8!/2!*6!*C(9,2)*C(7,2)*C(5,1).
Shoney45

Homework Statement

a) How many arrangements of the letters in COMBINATORICS have no consecutive vowels?
b) In how many of the arrangements in part (a) do the vowels appear in alphabetical order?

Homework Equations

C(n,k) P(n,k)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) First I divided up the consonants and the vowels. My consonants are 2 C's, M, B, N, T, R, and S. My vowels are 2 O's, 2 I's and one A. Now I find the total number of ways to arrange the consonants = 8! Now I have to arrange my vowels such that there are no consecutive vowels. In the diagram below, the K = consonants, and the v's = vowels.

vKvKvKvKvKvKvKvKv

Since there are nine places to place vowels in order to avoid having consecutive vowels, there are C(9,5).

So the solution I am arriving at = 8! * C(9,5) total combinations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you may wish to consider how to treat repeated letters

Last edited:
hey it is not a question to be posted under calculus and beyond

total number of ways to arrange the consonants = 8!/2 as you have one repeated consonant
now why have you done C(9,5).

According to me you can do it using multinomial method. If you do not know what it is, then do not hesitate to ask

Shoney45 said:

You reasoning to this point sounds correct, now you must account for the repeated letters and vowel ordering

Last edited:
Because the 2Cs are identical the total number to arrange consonants is not 8! but 8!/2!.

Also something similar for vowels cause u have two identical Is and two Os ,you have to divide with 2!2!=4. And u have to multiply by 5! to get a).

For b) you have only one ordering for vowels, that is AIIOO so b) is without the (5!/(2!2!)) factor

ashishsinghal said:
total number of ways to arrange the consonants = 8!/2 as you have one repeated consonant
now why have you done C(9,5).

According to me you can do it using multinomial method. If you do not know what it is, then do not hesitate to ask

Maybe you should read over the Original post

ashishsinghal said:
hey it is not a question to be posted under calculus and beyond

Yes it is. Combinatorics is most certainly in the realm of calculus and beyond if only for the fact that several ideas in Combo. use ideas from calculus. But, combinatorics is certainly a higher math.

Shoney45 said:

Homework Statement

a) How many arrangements of the letters in COMBINATORICS have no consecutive vowels?
b) In how many of the arrangements in part (a) do the vowels appear in alphabetical order?

Homework Equations

C(n,k) P(n,k)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) First I divided up the consonants and the vowels. My consonants are 2 C's, M, B, N, T, R, and S. My vowels are 2 O's, 2 I's and one A. Now I find the total number of ways to arrange the consonants = 8! Now I have to arrange my vowels such that there are no consecutive vowels. In the diagram below, the K = consonants, and the v's = vowels.

vKvKvKvKvKvKvKvKv

Since there are nine places to place vowels in order to avoid having consecutive vowels, there are C(9,5).

l would attack this problem similarly, but do something a little different.

First, I like your Kv diagram, I'll use that here.
Second, see how many repeated consonants you have, in this case, there are 2 C's. Now, see how many ways there are to pick two of the K spots to place your two C's. So how many ways can you pick two K spots to place your 2 C's?. Now, you have 6 more K's left and 6 distinct letters with which to fill them, so there are 6! different ways to do this part. Multiply your answer from the C's above and 6! and you know how many ways there are to arrange the consonants.

Now, let's tackle the vowels. First, we note that there are two identical sets of vowels (the two o's and the two i's). There are C(9,2) ways to pick v's to place, say, the o's. Now you have 7 v's left, how many ways are there to pick v's for the i's? Now you how many v's do you have left? How many ways are there to pick a spot for the remaining a?As someone has pointed out, this last part can be answered with the product of three binomial coefficients, or with one multi-nomial coefficient. (I prefer binomial in this case.)

1. How many ways can the letters in COMBINATORICS be arranged?

There are 11 letters in the word COMBINATORICS, so there are 11! (39916800) possible ways to arrange them.

2. Is there a formula for calculating the number of arrangements for a given word?

Yes, the formula is n! / (n1! * n2! * ... * nk!), where n is the total number of letters and n1, n2, ... nk are the number of times each letter is repeated.

3. How many arrangements are possible if some letters are repeated?

If there are n1 letters that are repeated once, n2 letters that are repeated twice, and so on, the formula for the number of arrangements is n! / (n1! * n2! * ... * nk!).

4. Can the letters in COMBINATORICS be arranged in a way that no two vowels are next to each other?

Yes, this is possible. One way to arrange the letters in this way is "CMBNTRSCIOIOA". However, the number of such arrangements is significantly less than the total number of arrangements.

5. How does the concept of permutations and combinations relate to arranging letters in a word?

Permutations refer to the different ways in which a set of objects can be arranged, while combinations refer to the different ways in which a subset of objects can be selected from a larger set. When arranging the letters in a word, we are essentially finding permutations of the letters, as the order matters. However, if we were to select a subset of letters from the word, we would be finding combinations, as the order would not matter in this case.