Lincoln - Movie by Steven Spielberg

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary: U.S. president.In summary, the movie Lincoln is brilliant and captures the essence of both Daniel Day Lewis's and Tommy Lee Jones's performances. It is particularly poignant to see Lincoln's commentary on Euclid's axiom about equality. I think both actors captured the essence of their respective persons well. The movie is based in part on Doris Kearns Goodwin's biography of Lincoln, and covers the final four months of Lincoln's life. It is important to see the movie, but not necessarily to see it in the movie theater.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
I saw the movie Lincoln last night.

It is brilliant!

Two commanding performances by Daniel Day-Lewis (as Lincoln) and Tommy Lee Jones (as Thaddeus Stevens). I think both actors captured the essence of the respective persons.

Particularly poignant is Lincoln's commentary on Euclid's axiom about equality.

"Euclid's first common notion is this: things which are equal to the same thing are equal to each other. That's a rule of mathematical reasoning. It's true because it works. Has done and always will do. In his book Euclid says this is self-evident. You see, there it is, even in that two-thousand-year-old book of mechanical law. It is a self-evident truth that things which are equal to the same thing are equal to each other."
Lincoln saw all persons as equal, and the equality of all being self-evident.

The film is based in part on Doris Kearns Goodwin's biography of Lincoln, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, and covers the final four months of Lincoln's life, focusing on the President's efforts in January 1865 to have the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution passed by the United States House of Representatives.

. . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_(2012_film )

I have a hard copy of Doris Kearns Goodwin's biography of Lincoln, which I need to get back to reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I agree. It was one of the best if not the best non-fiction (or fictionalized history if you prefer, but I think this one wasn't much "fictionalized") that I've ever seen and I'm a BIG movie-goer.

Also, I 'bout fell out of my seat at the joke about the Washington portrait in England. Hadn't head that one before.

I figured it would be a good home dvd movie. Is it important to see it on the big screen?

phinds said:
Yeah, I agree. It was one of the best if not the best non-fiction (or fictionalized history if you prefer, but I think this one wasn't much "fictionalized") that I've ever seen and I'm a BIG movie-goer.

Also, I 'bout fell out of my seat at the joke about the Washington portrait in England. Hadn't head that one before.
Yeah - that was a good one. There is an occasional swear word used by various

Greg Bernhardt said:
I figured it would be a good home dvd movie. Is it important to see it on the big screen?
Actually, I don't like movies in theatre as they are too loud. I prefer movies on TV.

I think it is important to see the movie (and read Kearns Goodwin's book), but not necessarily to see it in the movie.

It is an amazing movie. I saw it while on a cruise on the Disney Dream (it's a movie distributed by Disney! :))

Daniel Day Lewis should win his second Best Actor Oscar with this performance.

Zz.

I saw it like a month ago, I thought it was ok. However, it seemed uneventful at times and not a lot was going on..but I'm not a big movie buff

Greg Bernhardt said:

No, I don't think so. Save your popcorn money for the next Hobbit movie. :smile:

Given all these positive comments I do believe I will make an effort to see it.

I have watched this movie for twice before and planning to watch tonight for the same online with my friends.

Conn. congressman sees factual flaw in 'Lincoln'
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/conn-congressman-sees-factual-flaw-lincoln-003437629.html
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — As Rep. Joe Courtney watched the Oscar-nominated "Lincoln" over the weekend, something didn't seem right to him.

He said Tuesday he was shocked that the film, about President Abraham Lincoln's political struggle to abolish slavery, includes a scene in which two Connecticut congressmen vote against the 13th amendment to the Constitution, outlawing slavery.

"'Wow. Connecticut voted against abolishing slavery?'" Courtney recalled hearing audience members ask. "I obviously had the same reaction. It was really bugging me."

He said a cursory Internet search confirmed his suspicions that the movie, directed by Steven Spielberg, was historically inaccurate. He asked the Congressional Research Service to investigate, and it reported that all four Connecticut congressmen backed the amendment in a January 1865 vote.
. . . .

According to Wikipedia ( :uhh: ), "the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution outlaws slavery and involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime. It was passed by the Senate on April 8, 1864, by the House on January 31, 1865, and adopted on December 6, 1865." Lincoln was assassinated on April 15, 1865.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

I just finished reading Doris Kearns Goodwin's book on Lincoln. It is an excellent story about Lincoln and his humanity. His writings and the writings of other give a deep insight into his intellect, humility, empathy and compassion. He was truly a great human being, and perhaps the best example of what anyone should strive to be.

I've also started reading some of his writings, which are included in a biographical book published in 1927.

Daniel Day-Lewis, Doris Kearns Goodwin and Steven Spielberg discuss Lincoln and the movie.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50140749n

Thank you, Astro. I shall have to buy that DVD. It took me forever to watch that clip (thanks to my crappy ISP), but it was worth the wait. I love Daniel Day Lewis - one of the top actors of our time. Anybody that has not seen him as Butcher Bill should hit re-set. Best villain ever.

I wasn't very impressed with this movie at all, and I'm surprised at how many good reviews it gets. I think if it weren't misrepresented in the previews I would have liked it better. The title of the movie should have called "Emancipation," or the "Emancipation proclamation," or something like like. Lincoln's life was much much about that one act. I thought we were going to see some stuff from his childhood and his problems with depression in his earlier years, his early congressional term and years as an attorney. None of that. There wasn't really even any civil war footage, although this was splashed all over the preview trailers. Not so in the movie.

In fact, it seemed as if the movie focused just as much of its time on the other players in the 13th amendment as it did Lincoln equally. Daniel Day's performance was Ok, but I think a little stilted, a little overplayed, kind of like he was trying to hard to get it right. Tommy Lee Jones I though gave the best performance, he rarely fails to deliver.

DiracPool said:
I wasn't very impressed with this movie at all, and I'm surprised at how many good reviews it gets. I think if it weren't misrepresented in the previews I would have liked it better. The title of the movie should have called "Emancipation," or the "Emancipation proclamation," or something like like. Lincoln's life was much much about that one act. I thought we were going to see some stuff from his childhood and his problems with depression in his earlier years, his early congressional term and years as an attorney. None of that. There wasn't really even any civil war footage, although this was splashed all over the preview trailers. Not so in the movie.

In fact, it seemed as if the movie focused just as much of its time on the other players in the 13th amendment as it did Lincoln equally. Daniel Day's performance was Ok, but I think a little stilted, a little overplayed, kind of like he was trying to hard to get it right. Tommy Lee Jones I though gave the best performance, he rarely fails to deliver.
Steven Spielberg decided to do the last 4 months of Lincoln's life. There is just too much in his life for a 3 hour movie.

Realize the movies are dramatic - in order to appeal to the movie audience, or make a point.

I thought Daniel Day Lewis did an exceptional performance. It really was like being with Lincoln.

Before or after the movie, I strongly recommend reading Doris Kearns Goodwin's biography. It helps put Lincoln's life and struggles in perspective. And then if possible, read Lincoln's writings, and the writings of others about Lincoln.

I'm currently reading a book published in 1927. In the book is an extract of Lincoln's "Announcement of Political Views", in the Springfield Journal, June 13, 1836. In it, there is a hint that Lincoln is thinking about womens' suffrage. His whole presidency was essentially devoted to the Civil War and restoring the one nation. No other president has ever had to face that challenge, and Lincoln is probably the only one that could have done what he did. Unfortunately, he was assassinated only 42 days into his second term. One is left to wonder what he might have accomplished had he not been assassinated. He sought no retribution or retaliation, but only resolution and rebuilding the nation. He succeeded in the passage of the 13th ammendment, which was passed by the Senate on April 8, 1864, by the House on January 31, 1865, and adopted on December 6, 1865, and which granted freedom to about 3.5 million slaves.

The 14th ammendment, adopted June 9, 1868, provided "Section 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State."

Had Lincoln lived, perhaps it would have been all persons, women as well as men, who had the right to vote. It was not until, the Nineteenth Amendment, which was ratified on August 18, 1920, that women were granted the right to vote. Some other nations preceeded the US in womens' suffrage, while many other lagged.

I've got to ask around and see if any my friends or neighbors have bought that movie. I really want to see it. I have seen a few clips, and D-D Lewis and Sally Fields have been impressive. Jones has not been featured in the clips, but the reviews are good.

If anyone has bought that DVD, I will ask him/her what other new DVD that they or their tadpoles might want to see, and I'll buy that for them.

1. How historically accurate is the movie "Lincoln"?

The movie "Lincoln" is considered to be mostly historically accurate. While some minor details and events may have been altered for dramatic effect, the overall portrayal of Abraham Lincoln's life and the passing of the 13th Amendment is based on historical facts and research. However, it is important to remember that it is still a work of fiction and should not be viewed as a completely accurate representation of history.

2. Did Steven Spielberg take any creative liberties in the movie?

Yes, as with most historical movies, Steven Spielberg did take some creative liberties in "Lincoln". For example, the movie portrays Lincoln as having a strained relationship with his eldest son, Robert, which is not entirely accurate. Additionally, some events may have been condensed or altered for the sake of time and storytelling.

3. Who were the main historical figures portrayed in the movie?

The main historical figures portrayed in "Lincoln" include Abraham Lincoln, his wife Mary Todd Lincoln, his Secretary of State William Seward, his Vice President Hannibal Hamlin, and Thaddeus Stevens, a leader in the House of Representatives. Other notable figures such as Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee are also briefly mentioned or shown in the movie.

4. How accurate is Daniel Day-Lewis' portrayal of Abraham Lincoln?

Daniel Day-Lewis' portrayal of Abraham Lincoln in "Lincoln" is highly praised for its accuracy and attention to detail. He spent a year preparing for the role, studying Lincoln's mannerisms, voice, and historical speeches. Many viewers and critics have noted that Day-Lewis truly embodied the character of Lincoln and brought him to life on screen.

5. What impact did "Lincoln" have on society and the film industry?

"Lincoln" had a significant impact on both society and the film industry. It was praised for its powerful storytelling and acting, and went on to win multiple awards, including three Academy Awards. The movie also sparked renewed interest in Abraham Lincoln and his legacy, leading to an increase in visitors to historical sites and museums related to him. Additionally, it raised important discussions about race, equality, and the political process in America.