Register to reply

Size of elemetary particles

by Vampyr
Tags: elemetary, particles, size
Share this thread:
Vampyr
Aug21-13, 09:08 AM
P: 28
I stumbled upon this nice link showing the universe at different scales: http://htwins.net/scale2/

However, if you scroll down to the attometer scale you get to the elementary particles which have been given sizes. Does anyone know what these sizes mean? I thought elementary particles were dimensionless and so have no strict size.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Bubbling down: Discovery suggests surprising uses for common bubbles
New non-metallic metamaterial enables team to 'compress' and contain light
Drakkith
Aug21-13, 09:18 AM
Mentor
P: 11,823
I'd guess it either refers to something similar to a "classical electron radius" or it uses their wavefunction to determine the volume of space they are likely to occupy and base the size on that.
Bill_K
Aug21-13, 09:18 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
Quote Quote by Vampyr View Post
I stumbled upon this nice link showing the universe at different scales: http://htwins.net/scale2/ However, if you scroll down to the attometer scale you get to the elementary particles which have been given sizes. Does anyone know what these sizes mean? I thought elementary particles were dimensionless and so have no strict size.
You're correct. Apparently what he's diagramming here is the Compton wavelength for each particle, ħ/mc. Of the six quarks, the top quark has the greatest rest mass, hence the shortest Compton wavelength. Electron (classical) is the classical electron radius, e2/mc2.

Vampyr
Aug21-13, 03:31 PM
P: 28
Size of elemetary particles

Thank you!

Register to reply