Troubleshooting Windows Installation: Converting Dynamic Disk to Basic Type

• Thread starter pyzicslolito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of installing Windows 7 on a dynamic disk that already has Windows 8.1 installed on it. The solution suggested is to either convert the disk back to a basic type or to use a bare metal hypervisor. Other suggestions include booting into Windows 8.1 and starting the installation of Windows 7 from there, or wiping the disk and installing the operating systems in the correct order. The use of a virtual machine is also mentioned as a possible solution.
pyzicslolito
I have partitioned my hd into 3 drives. I installed Windows 8.1 on C drive and have used the OS until now. I realize I need windows 7. So I shink D Drive to create another partition - E drive where I would like to install the OS. But I gwt an error message stating that I the partition contains one or more dynamic volumes and thus cannot be used to install Windows. I google it up to only find that I need to convert my disk back to basic type to get over the problem. I don't want to install the software on a virtual machine. Do you know any solution to this issue ? Thank you very much in advance.

Computer science news on Phys.org
XenClient, VMware, XenServer, HyperV. Use a bare metal hypervisor.

Try booting into Windows 8.1, then insert the Windows 7 cd-rom and start the installation while running from Windows 8.1. This may give you a choice of which partition to install Windows 7 on. This is what I've done to tripple boot, Win XP, Win XP-X64, and Win 7, where I started the Win7 install while running Win XP-X64.

rcgldr said:
Try booting into Windows 8.1, then insert the Windows 7 cd-rom and start the installation while running from Windows 8.1. This may give you a choice of which partition to install Windows 7 on. This is what I've done to tripple boot, Win XP, Win XP-X64, and Win 7, where I started the Win7 install while running Win XP-X64.

Thank you ...Yes but I then can only choose the C drive where I installed Windows 8.1. I am afraid installing windows 7 there will overwrite other files and that I won't be able to delete one OS one day.

Windows 7 and Windows XP will NOT install on dynamic disks. If you are using Win7 Pro or Ultimate, you may be able to manually create the partition structure required by Windows on the dynamic disk in question but that process is beyond the scope of what I can do on a forum. I found this website that appears to provide steps to do this but I do not know if this will actually work.
http://my.opera.com/Devocalypse/blo...ows-7-on-a-dynamic-disk-pro-and-ultimate-only
You will need to modify and adapt the steps to suit your drive configuration. Windows requires a 500mb boot partition and the rest can go to the OS partition.
I have NOT tried to do this and I don't know if this will work, you can try but if you don't know what and how the tools used work, I would stay away.

The simpler solution is the following: First backup all the important data on your system. Then boot using the WindowsXP disk, destroy ALL partitions on your system. Then create a partition of some arbitrary size (leave space for Win7&8) and install WinXP. Once that's done, reboot using the Win7 Disk, then create another partition of some arbitrary size and install Win7 and finally repeat for Win8.

You have to install the oldest OS first. If you install Win8 first, secure boot may tell you to wake up and smell the coffee when trying to install an older bootloader. That said, I'm not sure how well Win8 will play with XP.

Your best option is to install Win8 and then run Win7 and XP through a virtual machine. I realize it's not your preferred solution but it's the one that represents the most likely way to get all 3 OS's going.

1. How can I convert a dynamic disk to a basic type during Windows installation?

During Windows installation, you can convert a dynamic disk to a basic type by selecting the disk and clicking on the "Convert" option. This will prompt you to confirm the conversion and once completed, the disk will be converted to a basic type.

2. What is the difference between a dynamic disk and a basic disk?

A dynamic disk allows for more advanced features such as creating volumes that span multiple disks, while a basic disk is limited to creating simple volumes on a single disk. Dynamic disks are also required for features like fault tolerance and software-based RAID.

3. Will converting a dynamic disk to a basic type cause data loss?

Converting a dynamic disk to a basic type should not cause data loss as long as the disk is healthy. However, it is always recommended to backup important data before making any changes to your disk configuration.

4. Can I convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk during Windows installation?

Yes, you can convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk during Windows installation. This can be done by selecting the disk and clicking on the "Convert" option. Keep in mind that once converted, the disk cannot be converted back to a basic type without data loss.

5. What if I cannot convert a dynamic disk to a basic type during Windows installation?

If you are unable to convert a dynamic disk to a basic type during Windows installation, it could be due to several reasons such as a damaged disk or incompatible hardware. In this case, you may need to troubleshoot the issue or seek professional help.