Register to reply

Gravitational Generator

by CthlhuLies
Tags: generator, gravitational
Share this thread:
CthlhuLies
Feb20-14, 07:12 PM
P: 12
Ok this one is purely theoretical and I'm going to just make some assumptions.
1. No Debris will block the way.
2. Its A vacuum
3.The structure won't collapse.

Ok, first we drill a hole through one side the earth and out the other. We then wrap the new whole in a superconducting coil of wire. At both ends of the wire attach a battery to collect the energy. Then drop the magnet.

Would the magnet be slowed?
I came up with this today and only researched a little on how magnetic generators generally work.
Squares are magnets. The brown lines are the wires previously mentioned.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Bubbling down: Discovery suggests surprising uses for common bubbles
New non-metallic metamaterial enables team to 'compress' and contain light
Drakkith
Feb20-14, 08:46 PM
Mentor
P: 11,823
Yes, the magnet will be slowed. There are videos of people dropping magnets down copper tubes on youtube that should show this.
CthlhuLies
Feb20-14, 08:48 PM
P: 12
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Yes, the magnet will be slowed. There are videos of people dropping magnets down copper tubes on youtube that should show this.
Thanks for the reply I had this idea milling around in my mind all day. :D

sophiecentaur
Feb21-14, 07:13 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,117
Gravitational Generator

This is only a one shot device, remember. The magnet will oscillate along the polar axis but the displacement will gradually die down as energy is used up. It is a very expensive way to harvest the PE of a falling object. Remember, you had to dig out all that material to make the hole in the first place. That would involve much more energy than you will get out.

Register to reply