Chances in applying for a PhD in Physics (DFT)

In summary, Marlon has a master's degree in physics from a noname university, but he has some research experience and has written some letters of application to PhD programs. He is worried that having not been published will shorten his chances of being accepted into a PhD program.
QuantumReg
Hi All!

I was wondering what are my chances in applying for a PhD in physics...
I have a master's degree, I was involved in some computational stuff in Density Functional Theory, I also graduated in this field. My problem is, that I have not been some eager-beaver guy with my studies, therefore I have no articles with my name on them, no references...
How can a guy like me apply for some PhD in physics? As far as I know, I have no chance, for example, to write an article, if I am not a student of a university, and I have almost no chance to apply for a PhD without some references, even I would be some genious... I looked after some opportunities at some universities tho. They don't say anything about what references do I need to succeed with my application, but only two things :
- GRE General English exam has to be passed,
- At least two references have to be presented from some of my professors.
These two things I can deal with...

Is there a place, where it is enough?

Please cheer me up... :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Getting published before graduate school is very difficult to do, and most students applying for a PhD program probably have not been published in a peer-reviewed journal. The fact that you have your masters and (I assume) a significant amount of research experience makes me think you should be fine. I doubt any school will discount your application on the sole basis of having never been published.

Thanks t!m!

It's just good to hear things go different from place to place. In my country you have almost no chance to apply for a PhD without any published articles.
Anyway... about what "properties" are the applicants selected then? No university can just say it would give a position for all the students who have just applied for one... Does it matter where one comes from?
(Guess it does, but that's not good for me, I think.)

But didn't you already ask about this in the "How to continue my studies" thread ? Have you already tried applying to IMEC ?

Marlon

Hey marlon!

Good to "see" you again! :)

I haven't tried applying to IMEC yet, because some stuff have to be collected first. I have to pass the GRE general, get some references...
I already have written some letters, tho.
I'm just curious about my opportunities. IMEC looks fine, PhD research areas are more then fine, but the fact is, that I come from a somewhat nonename university from a little country. I think that does matter and it shortens my chances, so I decided to look around a bit.

1. What is DFT and why is it important in a PhD in Physics?

DFT stands for Density Functional Theory, which is a computational method used to study the electronic structure of materials. It is important in a PhD in Physics because it allows for the prediction and understanding of various physical and chemical properties of materials, which is essential in many areas of research.

2. What are the chances of being accepted into a PhD program in Physics with a focus on DFT?

The chances of being accepted into a PhD program in Physics with a focus on DFT vary depending on the university and their specific requirements. Generally, having a strong background in physics, mathematics, and computer science, as well as previous research experience, can increase your chances of being accepted.

3. What qualifications and experience are needed to apply for a PhD in Physics with a focus on DFT?

To apply for a PhD in Physics with a focus on DFT, you will typically need a bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field. Having coursework or research experience in theoretical and computational physics, as well as programming skills, will also be beneficial.

4. Are there any specific GRE or TOEFL requirements for applying to a PhD program in Physics with a focus on DFT?

GRE and TOEFL requirements may vary depending on the university and their specific program. Some universities may require GRE scores for all applicants, while others may waive this requirement for students with strong academic backgrounds. International students may also be required to submit TOEFL scores to demonstrate their proficiency in English.

5. What can I do to increase my chances of being accepted into a PhD program in Physics with a focus on DFT?

To increase your chances of being accepted into a PhD program in Physics with a focus on DFT, it is important to have a strong academic background and relevant research experience in theoretical and computational physics. Additionally, networking with professors and researchers in the field, and having strong letters of recommendation can also improve your chances of being accepted.