Equations of curves and lines question

In summary, the 16 year old is trying to solve an equation for a straight line that intersects a curve at an unknown point. However, he does not know how to do this and has not been given the information needed. He has collected the coefficients of x and compared them to the equation given in the question. Unfortunately, he has not been able to solve for m and c.
Trail_Builder
hi, hope you can help with this. For your reference I am 16 doing the nationwide 16 year olds exam (GCSE) so please if you can avoid using stuff I havn't done that'd be great :D

Homework Statement

The x coordinates of the points of intersection of the curve y = x^3 - 2x^2 - 5x and a certain straight line give the solutions to the equation x^3 - 2x^2 - 6x + 1 = 0. Find the equation of the straight line.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, I have no idea as to how I'd even approach this question, other than maybe try to first find solutions for x^3 - 2x^2 - 6x + 1 = 0 which I havn't been told how to do. Nor have I been told how to do this type of question either, grrrrrrr. I wish my stupid textbook showed working for the answers...

hope you can help

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so you have an unknown straight line which intersects the curve at some unknown point. However, you do know that the straight line must be of the form y=mx + c. Now, if the two curves intersect at some point what can you say about their equations at this point?

x^3 - 2x^2 - 5x = mx + c ?

Trail_Builder said:
x^3 - 2x^2 - 5x = mx + c ?
Correct :approve:, now all that is left to do is solve for m and c.

sorry but how would i go about solving it? i don't know how to solve when there is a ...^3 in there :S

thnx for the help

No problem, so we have our two equations;

[tex]x^3 - 2x^2 - 5x = mx + c[/tex]

[tex]x^3 - 2x^2 - 5x - mx - c = 0[/tex]

Collecting the coefficients of x;

[tex]x^3 - 2x^2 - (5+m)x - c = 0[/tex]

Now, compare this equation with the one given in the question;
Trail_Builder said:
The x coordinates of the points of intersection of the curve y = x^3 - 2x^2 - 5x and a certain straight line give the solutions to the equation x^3 - 2x^2 - 6x + 1 = 0. Find the equation of the straight line.

[tex]x^3 - 2x^2 - 6x +1 = 0[/tex]

Can you go from here?

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
No problem, so we have our two equations;

[tex]x^3 - 2x^2 - 5x = mx + c[/tex]

[tex]x^3 - 2x^2 - 5x - mx - c = 0[/tex]

Collecting the coefficients of x;

[tex]x^3 - 3x^2 - (5+m)x - c = 0[/tex]

Now, compare this equation with the one given in the question;

[tex]x^3 - 3x^2 - (5+m)x - c = 0[/tex]
[tex]x^3 - 3x^2 - 6x +1 = 0[/tex]

Can you go from here?

But the one give in the question" was
x3- 2x2- 6x+ 1= 0. not what you give.

Correct as usual Halls, a typo from line 2 to line 3, now duly corrected.

o rite, i see what you did there, but no unfortunately, i can't do the equations with ...^3, is it factoriseable? cause i guessing it not compelteing the square and it obvious not quadratic formula lol

thnx

Look, for a moment, at the final two lines;

[tex]x^3 - 2x^2 - 6x +1 = 0[/tex]

Can you see that (5+m)=6?

o crap, misread the question haha soz, yeh i got the answer now

thnx for all the help buddy

Trail_Builder said:
thnx for all the help buddy
:approve: pleasure

hey, hope ur not to busy...im new to this site,..cud u guide me here?

how do i post a ques here- sorry to post here irrelevant of the discussion-but i knida ned help

Hi jay and welcome to the forums,

To post a new topic, select the appropriate forum and click the start new thread button at the top of the forum. If you need any more help getting around you can post in the General Discussion forum :smile:

On my screen, at least, it is "New Topic", not "start new thread".

1. What is the difference between a curve and a line?

A curve is a continuous, smooth shape that does not have to be straight, while a line is a straight path connecting two points.

2. How do I find the equation of a line given two points?

To find the equation of a line, you can use the formula y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. To find the slope, you can use the formula (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two points.

3. What is the slope-intercept form of an equation?

The slope-intercept form of an equation is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. This form is useful for graphing and identifying key characteristics of a line, such as its slope and y-intercept.

4. How do I find the equation of a curve?

The equation of a curve can vary depending on the type of curve. Some common types of curves include parabolas, circles, and ellipses. To find the equation of a curve, you can use its defining characteristics, such as the coordinates of its center and its radius for a circle.

5. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations with multiple variables that need to be solved simultaneously. This is often used to solve real-life problems, such as finding the point where two lines intersect or the coordinates of a point on a curve.