Why can't I access a picture on the Mech Eng forum even though I'm logged in?

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, the user is experiencing an issue where they are unable to access a specific picture on the forum, despite being logged in. They have tried logging in multiple times and have confirmed that they have the "remember me" box checked and cookies enabled. The issue seems to be related to using a Mac, as it works fine on a PC. The suggestion is made to clear the cookies and cache, which solves the problem.
Danger
Gold Member
This is weird. I logged in as usual, and was acknowledged. When I try to access a picture (specifically the original post in the Mech Eng forum about the latching ramp), I get shunted to a page that says I must be logged into view it. The log-in dialogue boxes are there, blank. So I re-entered my ID and password, but there's no response and I keep getting sent back to that same page. There's at least a partial recognition, or I wouldn't be able to post this. Whazzup? :confused:
By the bye, I logged out and tried again, a couple of times. Same result.:grumpy:

edit: Even weirder, that seems to be the only link that behaves that way.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have the "remember me" box checked when you log in? Do you have cookies enabled?

Yes to both. Apparently, this is a Mac-related incompatibility. I'm on my manager's PC right now, and it works fine. The same thing is still happening with my iBook which is also running beside me. It's no big deal, then, since I always have access to a PC if necessary. :yuck:

You might want to try clearing your cookies and logging in fresh.

- Warren

I'll give that a shot the next time I log in through the iBook. It was my understanding (due to what it says on the screen), that PF clears its own cookies upon log-out. Or are you suggesting that someone else's cookies are interfering with PF? :confused:

Well, PF should be clearing its cookies if you explicitly click the log-out button, but it's possible something's not working quite right in your browser. I'm not convinced it'll do anything, but it's the first thing to try.

- Warren

It would appear that you were right. I couldn't find anything about cookies in the menu, but I cleared the cache and now it works fine. Thanks.

1. Why am I getting a "Log-In not recognized" error?

There are several possible reasons for this error, including entering incorrect login credentials, the account being inactive or deleted, or technical issues with the website or server.

2. How do I fix a "Log-In not recognized" error?

The first step is to double check that you are entering the correct login information. If the issue persists, try resetting your password or contacting the website's support team for assistance.

3. Can I recover my account if I receive a "Log-In not recognized" error?

Yes, in most cases, you can recover your account by following the password reset process or contacting the website's support team for assistance. However, if the account has been deleted or deactivated, it may not be possible to recover it.

4. How can I prevent a "Log-In not recognized" error?

Make sure to use a strong and unique password for your account and avoid sharing your login information with others. Also, keep your account information up to date and regularly check for any suspicious activity.

5. Is a "Log-In not recognized" error a security concern?

While it may not always indicate a security breach, it is important to investigate the cause of the error and take necessary precautions to protect your account. If you suspect that your account has been compromised, immediately change your password and enable any available security features.