Electron, Atom, Planet, Star: Do All Galaxies Orbit a Single Mass?

• Thread starter Destrio
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of all galaxies orbiting a single greater mass, but it is not a requirement as some galaxies are drifting through space and there is no definite center to the universe. The orbiting of electrons around atoms is also different from astronomical objects and is determined by energy levels rather than gravity. Additionally, the presence of dark matter in the universe complicates the understanding of gravitational forces in galaxies.
Destrio
that if all electrons orbit atoms,
and atoms in the form of moons orbit planets,
and planets orbit stars,
and stars orbit the black hole in the centre of their galaxy,
will all galaxies orbit around a single greater, or greatest mass?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Some galaxies are part of a "cluster" of many galaxies. These in turn orbit a common center.

This is not a requirement. Many galaxies are drifting through intergalactic space, orbiting nothing.

There is no "center" to the universe, and certainly no requirement that all galaxies shall orbit a common center.

Lastly, electrons orbiting the nucleus of an atom has nothing to do with gravity.

Electrons don't orbit in the same sense that astronomical objects do. Electrons are at various energy levels in the neighborhood of the nucleus.

mathman said:
Electrons don't orbit in the same sense that astronomical objects do. Electrons are at various energy levels in the neighborhood of the nucleus.

True, and these energy levels are really just points in space around the nucleus where there is a high probability of finding an electron. Also, the electrons also differ in that their position and speed may never be determined simultaneously due to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

As for the galaxies orbiting a common senter of gravity, it is actually a bit hard to conclude on this as there seems to be a lot more (dark) matter in the universe than what is accounted for at the present, so some galaxies and stars seem to be orbiting some mass excerting gravitational force, though this mass has not yet been found.

1. Can I be correct to say that my hypothesis is proven?

No, a hypothesis can never be proven, only supported by evidence. Science is a continuous process of testing and refining ideas, and a hypothesis can always be disproven by new evidence.

2. Is it appropriate to say that my experiment was successful if the results match my predictions?

Not necessarily. While it is important for results to support predictions, it is also important to consider potential sources of error and alternative explanations for the results. It is best to interpret the results objectively and discuss any limitations or uncertainties in the conclusions.

3. Can I be correct to say that my results are significant if they have a p-value of less than 0.05?

No, a p-value of less than 0.05 does not automatically mean that the results are significant. It is important to also consider the effect size and sample size when determining the significance of results.

4. Is it accurate to say that my theory is proven if it is widely accepted by the scientific community?

No, the acceptance of a theory by the scientific community does not necessarily mean it is proven. Scientific theories are constantly being refined and updated as new evidence and ideas emerge.

5. Can I be correct to say that my conclusion is valid if it is based on a single experiment?

No, a single experiment can provide valuable information, but it is always important to replicate and validate results before drawing conclusions. Additionally, a conclusion should be supported by multiple lines of evidence, not just one experiment.