Formaldehyde and boiling points

In summary, the boiling point of a solution with 37% Formaldehyde and the rest Water is 98 degrees Celsius. For a solution with 37% Formaldehyde, 1% Methanol, and the rest Water, as well as for Formaldehyde concentrations of 26% and 23%, the boiling point elevation equation can be used with a constant K_{b} for Formaldehyde. The equation is \DeltaT_{b} = i K_{b} M, where i is 1 for non-electrolytes and M is the molality of the solution. The boiling point of pure Formaldehyde is approximately -19.3 degrees Celsius with a molar mass of 30g/mol.
giankyr
Hi guys. I'm looking for boiling points of solutions with Formadehyde and Water.

I found on ilo.org (http://www.ilo.org/public/english/protection/safework/cis/products/icsc/dtasht/_icsc06/icsc0695.htm) the boiling point of the solution Formaldehyde 37% (and the rest Water), it's 98 Degrees Celcius.

I would like to know the boiling point of a solution with Formaldehyde 37%, Methanol 1% (and the rest water), as well as of the Formaldehyde 26% or Formaldehyde 23% (and the rest water).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You need to have the boiling point elevation constant [tex]K_{b}[/tex] for formaldehyde I believe.

Now, I'd expect the boiling-point elevation equation to work -
[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]T_{b}[/tex] = i [tex]K_{b}[/tex] M

i is 1 for all non-electrolytes.

M is the molality, moles of solute/kg of solvent

Boiling point of pure formaldehyde is around -19.3 celsius, 30g/mol

Hope this helps!

Thank you for sharing this information on the boiling point of a solution with Formaldehyde and Water. It is important to note that the boiling point of a solution is affected by the concentration of the solute in the solvent. In this case, the addition of Methanol may also impact the boiling point of the solution.

To answer your question, the boiling point of a solution with Formaldehyde 37%, Methanol 1%, and Water would likely be slightly higher than 98 degrees Celsius due to the addition of Methanol. However, the exact boiling point would depend on the specific concentration of each component and may require further research or experimentation.

As for the boiling points of solutions with Formaldehyde 26% or 23%, it is difficult to give a precise answer without knowing the specific concentrations of Water and Formaldehyde. However, it is safe to assume that the boiling point would be lower than 98 degrees Celsius since these solutions have a lower concentration of Formaldehyde compared to the solution with Formaldehyde 37%.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider the concentration of each component when determining the boiling point of a solution. I hope this helps answer your question.

1. What is formaldehyde and why is it important?

Formaldehyde is a colorless, strong-smelling gas that is commonly used in many household products, such as adhesives, disinfectants, and preservatives. It is also used in the production of plastics, textiles, and furniture. It is important because it is a versatile chemical that has many practical applications.

2. What is the boiling point of formaldehyde?

The boiling point of formaldehyde is -19 degrees Celsius or -2 degrees Fahrenheit. This is relatively low compared to other common substances, such as water, which has a boiling point of 100 degrees Celsius or 212 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. Why does formaldehyde have such a low boiling point?

The low boiling point of formaldehyde is due to its small molecular size and weak intermolecular forces. This means that it requires less energy to break the bonds between molecules and transition from a liquid to a gas state.

4. How does the boiling point of formaldehyde affect its use?

The low boiling point of formaldehyde makes it easy to evaporate and can pose a health hazard if inhaled. Therefore, proper ventilation and safety precautions should be taken when using products containing formaldehyde. Additionally, the low boiling point can also affect the storage and transportation of formaldehyde as it can easily escape into the air.

5. Can the boiling point of formaldehyde be changed?

Yes, the boiling point of formaldehyde can be changed by altering the pressure or introducing other substances. For example, adding methanol can increase the boiling point of formaldehyde. Additionally, formaldehyde can also exist in different forms, such as paraformaldehyde, which has a higher melting point of 120-170 degrees Celsius.