Electrical generator- governing laws for RPM to voltage output

In summary, the engineer is looking for advice on building a stator for a 5000 rpm windmill motor. He has found some resources that might help, but is still unsure of what he needs to know. The engineer is also looking for advice on what voltage and amp outputs are possible with a motor of this type running at 5000 rpm.
mlindeman
Hello all,

Is there anyone out there who can help me out?

I have developed a drive system for a generator, but... the big but... in need to know how to build the appropriate stator for it.

Assume this is of the windmill electrical generating variety, where magnetic coils produce AC current using reverse polarity magnetism.

But... another big but... the RPM's are around 5000, consistent.

So what are the laws governing the wire gauge, the turns, the number of coils, number of magnets, space between coils, space between magnet, space between magnets and coils... and all designed for a ridiculously high RPM.

For those of you with the appropriate engineering degrees, and can give me all the answers I need, there will be a monetary remuneration for credible advice. You can e-mail me through this site.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mlindeman said:
Hello all,

Is there anyone out there who can help me out?

I have developed a drive system for a generator, but... the big but... in need to know how to build the appropriate stator for it.

Assume this is of the windmill electrical generating variety, where magnetic coils produce AC current using reverse polarity magnetism.

But... another big but... the RPM's are around 5000, consistent.

So what are the laws governing the wire gauge, the turns, the number of coils, number of magnets, space between coils, space between magnet, space between magnets and coils... and all designed for a ridiculously high RPM.

For those of you with the appropriate engineering degrees, and can give me all the answers I need, there will be a monetary remuneration for credible advice. You can e-mail me through this site.

Something that might come close to what you described, they also have 3hp cont. duty PM DC motors (that I think are very good, if their not sold out) right at $60.00 US

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008062117383070&item=10-1783-A&catname=electric

The mount bracket can be removed by unscrewing three bolts that secure it to the housing.

Last edited:
Thanks guy

Most of what i found through your recommended sites I have already researched quite thoroughly. Especially the windmill generators.

My biggest obstacle seems to come with the high RPM. Windmill generators run at low RPM's and therefore much of what they suggest doesn't take into consideration the wire gauge and turns required to handle both the efficiency and energy loss.

So again, I'm looking for those specifications that will work at 5000 rpm's

mlindeman said:
Most of what i found through your recommended sites I have already researched quite thoroughly. Especially the windmill generators.

My biggest obstacle seems to come with the high RPM. Windmill generators run at low RPM's and therefore much of what they suggest doesn't take into consideration the wire gauge and turns required to handle both the efficiency and energy loss.

So again, I'm looking for those specifications that will work at 5000 rpm's

I'm a little confused, if your windmill is turning at 50 RPMs and you have a 100:1 stepup ratio, the motor would be turning at 5,000 RPMs, at that speed the voltage would be around 110v, and your best amperage output would be around 2a or 3a Amps. The output of amps will be related to your blades surface area.

The motor specs again were,

130vdc
6750 rpm
18.5 amps

If given this much power the output is 2.5 horsepower, the duty cycle however is NOT 100%.

Turning it as a generator @ 6750 rpm will give a voltage output of 130AC and 0 up to 18.5 Amps current delivered. The duty cycle of this motor will be determined by the total wattage drawn from it.

If I'm wrong someone will step up with a correction:wink:

Thanks again

I'll look into this motor, which I believe would probably answer a lot of my questions, but if it has brushes, which I assume it has, then it is not what I'm looking as. I'm looking at something with almost negligible resistance.

Most motors, by the nature of their design with no current running through them have a lot of resistance due to the magnets.

That's why i want to build my own stator, again like that of windmill generators, where the magnets are completely independent of the coils and no wires touching, except for those to the coils of course.

But I understand where you're going with this. You're saying that if I take this motor apart, it would probably give me an indication of what a high RPM requires. It may be worth buying just for the investigative illumination.

Thanks RonL

mlindeman said:
I'll look into this motor, which I believe would probably answer a lot of my questions, but if it has brushes, which I assume it has, then it is not what I'm looking as. I'm looking at something with almost negligible resistance.

Most motors, by the nature of their design with no current running through them have a lot of resistance due to the magnets.

That's why i want to build my own stator, again like that of windmill generators, where the magnets are completely independent of the coils and no wires touching, except for those to the coils of course.

But I understand where you're going with this. You're saying that if I take this motor apart, it would probably give me an indication of what a high RPM requires. It may be worth buying just for the investigative illumination.

Thanks RonL

Sorry! I did kinda gloss over what you were saying.
I have about a dozen of these motors that I have used in various way, and almost all were fairly low power applications and none that were precise enough to worry about PM, and brush resistance.

I like them (especially the price), but have not put any to a maxium test.

1. How does an electrical generator work?

An electrical generator works by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. This is done through the use of electromagnetic induction, where a magnetic field is created by spinning a rotor inside a stator with many coils of wire. The spinning motion creates a changing magnetic field, which induces an electrical current in the coils of wire.

2. What are the governing laws for RPM to voltage output in an electrical generator?

The governing laws for RPM to voltage output in an electrical generator are Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction and Lenz's law. Faraday's law states that the induced voltage is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux. Lenz's law states that the direction of the induced current is always such that it opposes the change in magnetic flux that produced it.

3. How does the speed of the generator affect its voltage output?

The speed of the generator directly affects its voltage output. The faster the rotor spins, the higher the rate of change of magnetic flux and therefore the higher the induced voltage. Conversely, a slower speed will result in a lower voltage output.

4. Can the voltage output of an electrical generator be controlled?

Yes, the voltage output of an electrical generator can be controlled through the use of a voltage regulator. This device monitors the voltage output and adjusts the excitation of the generator to maintain a constant voltage. This is important for ensuring a stable and consistent power supply.

5. What factors can affect the RPM to voltage output relationship in an electrical generator?

Several factors can affect the RPM to voltage output relationship in an electrical generator. These include the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coils, the speed of the rotor, and the load on the generator. Changes in any of these factors can impact the voltage output of the generator.