Grad school choice for master of aerospace engineering

In summary, the top schools for a master's degree in aerospace engineering include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Stanford University, University of Michigan–Ann Arbor, and Georgia Institute of Technology. The duration to complete a master's degree in aerospace engineering is typically two to three years. Admission requirements usually include a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, a strong academic record, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a statement of purpose. It is not necessary to have an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering to pursue a master's degree in this field. Various career opportunities are available in the aerospace industry, government agencies, defense companies, and research institutions for graduates with a master's degree in aerospace engineering.
casperl
Hi people I am going to do Master for Aerospace Engineering in the coming September and having a hard time to decide to go to which school and really like to hear some comment from you people. I have posted this content in the other discussion but seems like nobody read that discussion anymore so I have decided to post it as a new topic, my apology for double posting.

First of all I have no doubt that I want to go for grad school for aerospace because working for aerospace industry is like my dream since I was in grade 3, and after 4 years of undergrad man I felt like I am so not ready and don't really know a lot. The thing is I am a Canadian, and so far University of Washington and Pennsylvania State University have gave me acceptance already, but because I am an international student the tuition is a whooping 28000 a year...I am still waiting for reply from the University of Toronto where I only have to pay around 8000 a year.

I am having such a hard time to decide where I want to go, it seem like in the future I will have more job opportunity if I go to UW or PSU since they are in the state and both of them are top 20 in aerospace engineering I believe. However I think UT is the top one in aerospace engineering in Canada, but then there are not that much school has aerospace in Canada so I really have no idea where does UT stands against UW and PSU...and the different in tuition is just so great...Plus there doesn't seem to be much jobs in aerospace industry in Canada...

I am glad my family are supporting me continue my study and actually have the money ready for my tuition if I decide to go to US, but then UT is still an option for me to save a lot of money for my family as well...

Basically I would like to have any kind of comment on my dillema, and does anybody know how is UT's (Univertisy of Toronto) reputation in the aerospace industry and how good are their aerospace program? I think UT has pretty good world standing at general engineering but not sure about its aerospace program.

Physics news on Phys.org

As a scientist with experience in the aerospace industry, I understand your dilemma and the importance of choosing the right graduate school for your future career. First of all, congratulations on your acceptance to both University of Washington and Pennsylvania State University! Both are top universities with strong aerospace engineering programs.

In terms of reputation in the aerospace industry, both UW and PSU have a strong presence and are highly regarded. However, it is important to note that the reputation of a university is not the only factor that determines your success in the industry. It is also important to consider the specific research areas and opportunities available at each university, as well as the faculty and their expertise.

In terms of cost, I can understand your concern about the difference in tuition between these universities and University of Toronto. However, I would encourage you to also consider the potential return on investment in terms of the opportunities and experiences that you will gain from your graduate program.

University of Toronto is a highly respected institution with a strong engineering program, and their aerospace engineering program is no exception. While it may not have as many job opportunities in the aerospace industry compared to the US, there are still opportunities available in Canada and internationally. Additionally, the aerospace industry is constantly evolving and expanding, so it is possible that more opportunities may arise in Canada in the future.

Ultimately, the decision between these universities will depend on your personal priorities and goals. I would recommend researching the specific programs and opportunities available at each university, and also reaching out to current students or alumni to gain more insight. As for UT's reputation in the aerospace industry, I would suggest looking into the companies and organizations that have partnerships or collaborations with UT's aerospace program, as well as the research projects and publications coming out of the program.

In conclusion, I wish you all the best in making your decision and pursuing your dream of working in the aerospace industry. Keep in mind that whichever university you choose, your hard work, dedication, and passion for aerospace engineering will ultimately lead to your success. Good luck!

Hello,

I understand your dilemma and decision-making process when it comes to choosing a graduate school for aerospace engineering. First of all, congratulations on being accepted to both the University of Washington and Pennsylvania State University. These are both highly reputable institutions with strong aerospace engineering programs.

In terms of reputation and job opportunities, it is true that attending a top-ranked school like UW or PSU may open more doors for you in the aerospace industry. However, it is important to also consider the cost and financial burden of attending these schools, especially as an international student. The University of Toronto is also a well-respected institution and may offer a more affordable option for you.

It is important to research and compare the specific aerospace engineering programs at each school to see which one aligns best with your academic and career goals. You can also reach out to current students or alumni from each school to get their insights and experiences.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on a balance of factors including reputation, cost, program offerings, and personal fit. Whichever school you choose, I have no doubt that your passion for aerospace engineering and dedication to your studies will lead you to success. Good luck in your decision-making process.

1. What are the top schools for a master's degree in aerospace engineering?

The top schools for a master's degree in aerospace engineering include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Stanford University, University of Michigan–Ann Arbor, and Georgia Institute of Technology.

2. How long does it take to complete a master's degree in aerospace engineering?

On average, it takes two to three years to complete a master's degree in aerospace engineering. However, the duration may vary depending on the program and whether the student is studying full-time or part-time.

3. What are the admission requirements for a master's degree in aerospace engineering?

The admission requirements for a master's degree in aerospace engineering typically include a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, a strong academic record, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require applicants to have relevant work experience.

4. Is it necessary to have an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering to pursue a master's degree in this field?

No, it is not necessary to have an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering to pursue a master's degree in this field. Many programs accept students from various engineering backgrounds, as long as they have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and other relevant subjects.

5. What career opportunities are available after completing a master's degree in aerospace engineering?

Graduates with a master's degree in aerospace engineering can pursue various career opportunities in the aerospace industry, such as aircraft or spacecraft design, research and development, systems engineering, and project management. They can also work in government agencies, defense companies, and research institutions. Additionally, some graduates may choose to continue their education and pursue a Ph.D. in aerospace engineering.