How do I calculate moment of inertia for a rotating ball on a thin massless rod?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the moment of inertia of a ball rotating on the end of a rod about an axis of rotation. The first part involves considering the mass of the ball to be concentrated at its center of mass, while the second part uses the parallel axis theorem and considers the finite radius of the ball. The percentage error introduced by the point mass approximation is also calculated. The conversation ends with a clarification on the calculation for the first part.
Theelectricchild
Hi everyone I am have done part of this problem but i am wondering how you would go about it:

A ball of mass M and radius R1 on the end of a thin massless rod is rotated in a horizontal circle of radius Ro about an axis of rotation AB.

a. Considering the mass of the ball to be concentrated at its center of mass, calculate its moment of inertia about AB.

b. Using the parallel axis theorem and considering the finite radius of the ball, calculate the moment of inertia of the ball about AB.

c. Calculate the percentage error introduced by the point mass approximation for R1 = 10 cm and Ro = 1.0m

I am having difficulty with these problems, I was wondering what you would suggest?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're making the point-mass approximation, the moment of inertia will be given by Mr^2 with r = Ro + R1

If you consider the moment of inertia of the sphere, the sphere has a moment of inertia of 2(Mr^2)/5 about its center (you either look that up or compute it using the definition of moment of inertia; here, r = R1). Using the parallel axis theorem, you should find that the moment of inertia about the axis AB is I = Io + MRo^2

a little cleaner:

[tex] I = \frac 2 5 MR_1^2 + MR_o^2 [/tex]

For the last part, you just have to plug in numbers.

Hope that helped.

I don't know if this makes a difference james, but Ro goes all the way to the center of the sphere, so I don't know if you must include R1 for part A.

Divergent13 said:
I don't know if this makes a difference james, but Ro goes all the way to the center of the sphere, so I don't know if you must include R1 for part A.

You're right; for the first part, r = Ro, not r= Ro + R1 like I said. (The second part is unchanged.) Thanks.

1. What is Moment of Inertia?

Moment of Inertia is a physical property of a rigid body that determines how resistant it is to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of the mass around the axis of rotation.

2. How is Moment of Inertia different from Mass?

Moment of Inertia is often compared to mass because it is a measure of an object's resistance to motion. However, mass relates to an object's resistance to linear motion, while Moment of Inertia relates to its resistance to rotational motion.

3. How is Moment of Inertia calculated?

The Moment of Inertia of an object can be calculated by summing the products of the mass and the square of the distance from the axis of rotation for each small element of the object.

4. What are some real-life applications of Moment of Inertia?

Moment of Inertia is important in various fields, including engineering, physics, and sports. Some examples of its applications include calculating the stability of a building, designing a spinning top, and analyzing the performance of a gymnast during a routine.

5. How can Moment of Inertia be changed?

The Moment of Inertia of an object can be changed by altering its mass or the distribution of its mass. For example, by moving the mass closer to the axis of rotation, the Moment of Inertia decreases, making the object easier to rotate. Conversely, by moving the mass away from the axis of rotation, the Moment of Inertia increases, making it harder to rotate.