Angular acceleration of a pendulum on an accelerating train

In summary, the angular acceleration of a pendulum hung from the ceiling of an accelerating train will be affected by the acceleration of the train, but also by the length and gravitational acceleration. The acceleration due to gravity can be added to the acceleration of the train to get a total acceleration, which will affect the period of the pendulum's oscillation. If the acceleration of the train is constant, the result is straightforward, but if it is not constant, the equations governing the motion will not be analytically solvable. Additionally, if the pendulum is not free to oscillate in the plane defined by the two accelerations, the situation becomes more complex.
Harmony
If I hang a pendulum on the ceiling of an accelerating train (with an initial angular displacement), how would the angular acceleration be affected?

My intuition told me that the angular acceleration of the pendulum should be affected by the acceleration of the train. But...whether the train accelerate or not, the force acting on the tangential direction of the pendulum is still the mass of the pendulum right? So it seems tat the angular acceleration of the pendulum will be affected by length and gravitational acceleration alone, and not the acceleration of the train?

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration due to gravity is no different from acceleration for any other reason. Thus you can simply add the two acceleration vectors to get a total acceleration that replaces ##g## in the equations of motion.

If the acceleration of the train is constant then the result follows trivially. The pendulum oscillates about the direction of the total acceleration vector with a period dependent on the magnitude of the sum.

If the acceleration isn't constant you can write down the differential equations governing the motion as in my first paragraph, but they won't be analytically soluble in general. Although if you require that the change in acceleration be slow compared to the period of the pendulum then I expect it wouldn't be far off the obvious "oscillates around slowly changing 'vertical' with slowly changing period".

Note that I've assumed throughout that the pendulum is free to oscillate in the plane defined by the gravitational and train acceleration vectors. If it isn't, life gets more complicated.

1. What is the relationship between the angular acceleration of a pendulum and the acceleration of a train it is on?

The angular acceleration of a pendulum on an accelerating train is directly proportional to the acceleration of the train. This means that as the train accelerates, the angular acceleration of the pendulum will also increase.

2. How does the length of the pendulum affect its angular acceleration on an accelerating train?

The length of the pendulum does not have a significant effect on its angular acceleration on an accelerating train. As long as the pendulum is able to swing freely without hitting any obstructions, the acceleration of the train will have a greater impact on its angular acceleration.

3. Can the angular acceleration of a pendulum on an accelerating train be negative?

Yes, the angular acceleration of a pendulum on an accelerating train can be negative. This would happen if the train decelerates or changes direction, causing the pendulum to slow down or even swing in the opposite direction.

4. How does the mass of the pendulum affect its angular acceleration on an accelerating train?

The mass of the pendulum does not have a significant effect on its angular acceleration on an accelerating train. As long as the pendulum is able to swing freely, its mass will not affect the acceleration caused by the train.

5. Is there a limit to the maximum angular acceleration a pendulum can experience on an accelerating train?

Yes, there is a limit to the maximum angular acceleration a pendulum can experience on an accelerating train. This limit is determined by the length of the pendulum and the acceleration of the train. If the acceleration of the train exceeds this limit, the pendulum will no longer be able to swing freely and its motion will become unstable.