Gravitational Field problem Question

In summary, the problem asks for the gravitational field at the fourth corner of a square with three objects located at the other corners. Using the equation g=-GM/r^2, the gravitational field is found to be √2G(m+M/2)/L in magnitude, with a direction of 45 degrees. The correct answer is found by converting the other two m masses into the direction of M and then adding it to the g force of M, resulting in (1.41Gm + 0.5GM)/L^2.
jessedevin

Homework Statement

Three objects -- two of mass m and one of mass M -- are located at three corners of a square of edge length l. Find the gravitational field g at the fourth corner due to these objects. (Express your answers in terms of the edge length l, the masses m and M, and the gravitational constant G).

p14-03alt.gif

Homework Equations

g=-GM/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

g= ga+gb+gc
g= Gm/l2 [tex]\hat{i}[/tex]+ (GM/(l[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex])2)(cos([tex]\pi/4[/tex])[tex]\hat{i}[/tex]+sin([tex]\pi/4[/tex])[tex]\hat{j}[/tex])+Gm/l2 [tex]\hat{j}[/tex]

I know you have to take the magnitude of this, but when I did that , I still get the wrong answer. Here's what I got:

||g||=[tex]\sqrt{2G^2/l^4(m^2+M^2)}[/tex]

Did I start it right? Can someone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the gravitational field given by GM/r ?

You have 3 vectors to add, but happily the 2 m's at right angles gives one lying in the direction of M

So ... √2Gm/L + GM/(√2*L) = √2*G*(m + M/2)/L ?

LowlyPion said:
Isn't the gravitational field given by GM/r ?

You have 3 vectors to add, but happily the 2 m's at right angles gives one lying in the direction of M

So ... √2Gm/L + GM/(√2*L) = √2*G*(m + M/2)/L ?

So do you take the magnitude of that? I am still confused, because my book says otherwise. Can you go through your process?

I think what you did originally is correct, but it ask for the magnitude without the vector sign. So just put down the answer using c^2 = a^2 + b^2 and then I believe you have to indicate the degree according to the x-axis. I'm doing a similar problem. Wait, yeah you did that, never mind.

I got it!
Instead of converting M vectors into g forces of x and y, why don't you convert the other 2 m mass into direction of M which is Gm/l^2 * cos(45) * 2.
Then add it to the g force of M
My answer is (1.41Gm + 0.5GM)/l^2.
Hope it helps, the post was like half a month ago, lol.

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region in space where a massive object, such as a planet or star, exerts a force on other objects. This force is known as gravity and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away.

2. How is the strength of a gravitational field measured?

The strength of a gravitational field is measured by its gravitational field strength, which is the force per unit mass acting on an object at a particular point in the field. This is measured in units of newtons per kilogram (N/kg).

3. What factors affect the strength of a gravitational field?

The strength of a gravitational field is affected by two factors: the mass of the object creating the field and the distance from that object. The greater the mass of the object, the stronger the gravitational field will be. Similarly, the closer an object is to the source of the field, the stronger the field will be.

4. What is the difference between a gravitational field and gravitational force?

A gravitational field is a region of space where a gravitational force exists, while gravitational force is the actual force that attracts two objects with mass towards each other. In other words, the gravitational field is the space where the force of gravity acts.

5. How is the gravitational field problem solved?

The gravitational field problem can be solved using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By plugging in the values for mass and distance, the gravitational field strength can be calculated.