Deriving Entropy Formula: Thermo Solution

In summary, the conversation is discussing the derivation of a formula for entropy, with the goal of obtaining an expression of the form S=C_v*ln(T)+R*ln(V-b)+constant. The participants are considering integrating the two terms on the right side separately, but there is uncertainty about whether this is valid and if Maxwell relations should be used instead. They also discuss the importance of C_V being a constant in this scenario.
olechka722
Hello,

I am trying to derive a formula for entropy. I have:

dS= Cv/T dT + R/(V-b) dV

and want to get:

S= Cv*ln(T) + R*ln(V-b) + constant.

Math rules seem to say i can't just integrate this up even though it looks obvious since i have two different d's on the right hand side. Maybe something using Maxwell relations? Not sure.

Thank you for any help!

olechka

Science news on Phys.org
The first term on the right side contains only a constant, a function of T, and dT. The second term contains only constants, a function of V, and dV. It's OK to integrate the terms separately in this case. You can verify this by differentiating the second expression.

You can just integrate it up I believe. The derivatives in this instance are actually partial derivates if I am not mistaken (the evidence is that Cv is the heat capacity at constant V...which implies that the second term is the change due to volume at constant T). So the total change in S is the sum of the integration of the two partial derivatives.

Renge Ishyo said:
You can just integrate it up I believe. The derivatives in this instance are actually partial derivates if I am not mistaken (the evidence is that Cv is the heat capacity at constant V...which implies that the second term is the change due to volume at constant T). So the total change in S is the sum of the integration of the two partial derivatives.

Not quite. It's true that the terms represent partial derivatives; that is, we're looking at

[tex]dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V dT+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T dV[/tex]

However, this observation isn't sufficient to conclude that the integral of the right hand side equals the sum of the integrals of the individual terms. We must also require that [itex]C_V(T,V)=T\left(\frac{\partial S(T,V)}{\partial T}\right)_V[/itex], which is generally a function of both T and V, is idealized as a constant, as I stated above.

What is entropy and why is it important in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is important because it helps us understand how energy is distributed and transferred within a system, and how it ultimately affects the overall efficiency and stability of the system.

How is the entropy formula derived?

The entropy formula is derived from the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always increase over time. This law is expressed mathematically as ΔS ≥ 0, where ΔS represents the change in entropy. By applying this law to different thermodynamic processes and making certain assumptions, we can arrive at the general formula for entropy: ΔS = Q/T, where Q is the heat transferred and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

What is the relationship between entropy and heat?

Entropy and heat are closely related, as heat is one of the factors that affects the change in entropy. When heat is transferred from a high-temperature region to a low-temperature region, the entropy of the system increases. This is because the energy becomes more dispersed and less organized, leading to a higher level of disorder.

Can the entropy formula be applied to all thermodynamic processes?

Yes, the entropy formula can be applied to all thermodynamic processes, as long as certain conditions are met. These conditions include a closed or isolated system, no phase changes, and no chemical reactions. In real-world scenarios, these conditions may not always be met, but the entropy formula can still provide valuable insights and approximations.

How is the entropy formula used in practical applications?

The entropy formula is used in various practical applications, such as in the design and optimization of power plants, engines, and refrigeration systems. It is also used in the study of materials and their behavior under different thermodynamic conditions. Additionally, the entropy formula is used in environmental and ecological studies, as it helps us understand the flow and distribution of energy in natural systems.